Head of Overhead Contact Systems
Location: Greater Manchester
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As the Head of Overhead Contact Systems you will be responsible for managing the Overhead Contact Systems (OCS) teams across the UK RAL Division.
This will involve day-to-day management of the team taking responsibility for their welfare, mentoring, career development and utilisation.
The role holder will report to the Portfolio Resource Manager and will work with them and the Principal Account Leaders to manage utilisation targets, providing the best people for specific roles within the team, on projects and recruitment needs.
The role holder will work with the Professional head for the relevant discipline to manage and develop the capability of the team
The role holder will promote the discipline both inside and outside the Division and act a focal point for the Principal Account Leaders to discuss discipline specific enquiries and promote the team.
- Meet utilisation targets assigned
- Ensure 100% Q1 Connected Conversation completion within the allowed window and regular 1-2-1s happen in the team
- Maintain 100% completion of mandatory training
- Business plan progress in line with actions
- Team growth in line with recruitment plan
- Conduct monthly team meetings
What you will contribute to the team;
Health, Safety and Wellbeing:
- Ensure all health, safety and welfare practises are adhered to (e.g. travel and site visits)
- Play a leadership role in wellbeing initiatives being undertaken in the division
- Primary responsibility for staff engagement including monitoring staff satisfaction levels and taking appropriate action to address issues
- Manage attendance of team members, ensure correct reporting procedures are being followed for absences
- Manage sickness absences, ensure return to work discussions happen and are completed in a timely manner, appropriate support and management of short and long-term absences
- Work with Account leaders to assess the scope of services and business development opportunities and respond to client feedback with a view to improving skills and addressing issues
- Identify skill gaps in the team and take steps to address these
- Work with Portfolio Resource manager and Practice leads to develop a robust growth and succession plan
- Work with Account leaders, Principal account leaders and Portfolio Resource manager to pro-actively manage workload, effective forecasting and ensure maximum utilisation of team members, allocate appropriate staff to projects or bids as agreed
- Highlight any recruitment needs and work with Portfolio Resource manager to develop and implement recruitment plans, undertake recruitment activities as necessary
- Deliver fee-paying work including acting as Project manager/Principal where appropriate
- Foster a culture of right first-time delivery and work with Project Principals to ensure effective project delivery
- Oversee/Monitor the effectiveness of staff inputs on projects and deal with issues
- Work with Practice leaders, Portfolio Resource manager and Professional head to identify and implement continuous improvement actions in technical quality and delivery efficiency
- Take appropriate responsibility for STEP/BMS/BIM implementation procedures
- Monitor timesheet bookings (including managing workload appropriately to minimise excessive working hours/overtime/absence), overheads and expenses for reasonableness
- Develop a culture that supports our global delivery model
- Maintain and deliver the business strategy for the team in line with the overall Rail Division business plan.
- Manage the forward order book of the OCS team
- Engage with PAL's and AL's to undertake business development
Required for the position of Head of Overhead Contact Systems;
- Demonstrable track record of senior competence in the relevant discipline
- Previous team management/supervisory experience is desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication and good presentation skills
- Able to lead a team and deliver to agreed business plan target
- Track record of effective leadership, development and motivation of staff
- Understanding of health, safety and welfare matters, ensuring adherence by the team
- Ability to supervise and delegate effectively
- Effective organisational skills, as demonstrated by achievement of deadlines, priority setting and maintenance of accurate administration records
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
*** Note applications for this role will close on Friday 23rd September***
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
An annual professional institution subscription
Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes