Senior Traction Power Engineer
Location: Greater Manchester
Job Type: Full time
This is a very exciting opportunity to become a member of our large, well-established and dynamic team providing specialist design and consultancy services to an extensive list of international tier 1 clients in the fields of traction power within our York, Manchester or Altrincham office.
The work is varied and involves contribution to and/or responsibility for technical delivery of feasibility and option engineering studies, power system studies, concept designs, technical specifications, detailed designs, support through construction and commissioning, bespoke technical investigations, etc.
Secondment to client project offices within the UK as well as short to medium-term assignments in one of our many overseas offices (Australia, Canada, USA, etc.) are also possible depending on your career aspirations and the right opportunities arising. You will also be given the opportunity to develop and apply your people and project management skills.
Your day-to-day work will include a combination of the following:
- Undertake site survey, asset records search and on-site record verification;
- Prepare and/or review technical reports, feasibility studies, option selection reports;
- Formulate scope of work, methodology and associated effort budget to support bids;
- Undertake and/or supervise power system modelling work (using ETAP and TRAIN, Mott MacDonald's multi-train simulator);
- Prepare/review outline and detailed designs for AC or DC electrification schemes including distribution and contact systems (electrical track equipment);
- Undertake/review earthing & bonding and protection studies;
- Undertake CRE (Contractor Responsible Engineer) duties or act as technical lead for the traction power discipline on multi-disciplinary design projects;
- Provide input to other disciplines, including: Civils/Structures, EMC, SCADA, LV Power, Signalling and Signalling Power, System Assurance, etc.;
- Undertake construction sites inspection, on site design verification;
- Interface with clients (prepare and give presentations, chair meetings, etc.);
- Carry out bespoke technical investigation, which may require on-site measurements;
For candidates who have a desire to expand their work experience, there is also an opportunity to hold line management responsibilities, which would involve responsibility for the welfare, mentoring, career development and utilisation of your line reports.
For this role you will need meet the following Essential criteria:
- Degree in electrical engineering or equivalent;
- Good working knowledge and demonstrable experience in AC and/or DC railway traction power, ideally with involvement in multidisciplinary design and construction projects;
- Membership of a relevant professional institution;
- Chartered Engineer status or nearing to achievement of professional registration (less than one year away);
- A track record of Traction Power CRE (or acting as CRE under mentorship);
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to draw logical conclusions based on limited information;
- Growth mindset combined with the ability to learn new skills on the job;
- IT skills: proficiency in usage of MS Office suite: Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
- Experience of design independent assessment;
- Appreciation of environmental issues associated with rail engineering works;
- IT skills: proficiency in usage ETAP modelling software or similar, TRAIN (multi-train simulator) simulation software or similar, AutoCAD and Microstation design software;
- Network Rail Personal Track Safety pass
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
An annual professional institution subscription
Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.