Location: West Midlands
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As a Design Engineer, you will:
- Undertake detailed structural engineering design, including concept, scheme and detailed design
- Check, review and comment the structural engineering design of junior members of staff
- Be responsible for liaising with external stakeholders, ensuring client satisfaction and working with architects and other disciplines to develop design solutions.
- Provide a proactive and collaborative approach to the wider design team to ensure the optimum solution is offered to meet their requirements
- Demonstrate technical excellence in structural engineering, and in helping junior team members develop
- Ensure more senior staff are kept informed of important and relevant service/design decisions
- Support project leads in the management of projects
- Assess carbon emissions to provide information to clients
Required for the position of Design Engineer;
- Experience of using analytical/design software such as Tekla Building Designer, Robot, Tedds and other design spreadsheets or tools
- Knowledge of the environmental aspects/impacts of civil and structural engineering designs, including embodied carbon
- Experience of delivering structural engineering detailed designs on buildings projects across a range of sectors including health, education, transport, commercial, residential, defence and sports and leisure,
- The ability to liaise with, manage and report on the inputs of colleagues providing supporting services to the projects such as civil, geotechnical and below ground drainage design
- Ability to work effectively as part of multidisciplinary teams and colleagues working in various locations, including remotely and overseas
- The ability to manage, coach and mentor junior members of the team (including graduate engineers, technicians and others)
- Experience of specification preparation including the use of NBS Create or Chorus
- Familiarity with information storage, management and collaboration tools such as SharePoint, Projectwise, 4P Viewpoint, Aconex, BIM 360, Navisworks etc.
Preferred, but not required:
- High quality technical skills in structural engineering
- An enthusiastic and dynamic approach to work
- A strong sense of personal responsibility for your work
- A desire to expand your technical knowledge and to learn new skills.
- Chartered engineer status as a member of a relevant institution (IStructE preferred) or be working towards a professional review to achieve this
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal, organisational and teamworking skills
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.