Associate - Utilities Engineer
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Mott MacDonald are a £1.4 billion management, engineering and development consultancy with 16,000 staff and a global reach spanning six continents. Our network of principal offices in 180 countries gives us local market insight backed by world class expertise to deliver excellence for every client. We promote Technical Excellence through our Practice network that promote collaboration across our business and bring world-leading expertise via our Highways and Rail & Transit Practices.
Our Northern England team is currently growing a highly skilled and customer-focused team to respond to an increasing number of secured highway, light rail and rapid transit schemes, heavy rail and potential future opportunities in local, national and international markets. We are an agile business that will support your wellbeing and your professional development. We are seeking an individual at Senior / Principal Engineer or Associate level (E) to join our team who has suitable experience in the management of utilities within infrastructure projects and to work on a range of projects which currently include:
- National Highways - Delivery in Partnership
- National Highways - TA2 Schemes
- Transport for Scotland
- Innovative rapid transit concepts
- Bus Rapid Transit Projects (guided and unguided)
- Transport Hubs
- Highway projects with national contractors
- Local Authority highway promoted schemes
- Town/City Centre improvements
- Network Rail
The team operates from grade A office spaces in the centre of Leeds, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool, Altrincham and Newcastle, our offices offer a vibrant and caring, people-orientated culture, which encourages development and rewards good work. Our business is employee owned and is therefore not run by external stakeholders reacting to the volatility of the stock market which means we can invest in our greatest asset, our staff.
Required for the position of Associate Engineer (Utilities):
- Proven experience working within the utilities industry.
- In depth knowledge of NRSWA, including responding the challenges to its application.
- Understanding of cost savings under the Act
- Ability to manage delivery of utility diversions from C2 to C9 process
- Experience in leading small design teams.
- Confident in their technical ability and in client facing roles.
- Must be able to demonstrate a track record in people skills and commercial awareness, with some business development.
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD & Civils 3D
- Experience with identifying, managing and resolving multi-disciplinary interfaces
- Ability to identify bespoke engineering solutions in reducing scope of utility diversions
- Ideally involved in projects from assessing feasibility, concept design and detailed design.
- Good communication skills both verbal and written.
- A team player with the ability to liaise confidently with external clients and colleagues at all levels.
- Experience applying CDM requirements in the role of designer.
- Provide input into bids where utilities present a major risk into project delivery
- Provide Utility Peer review of schemes
Preferred, but not required;
- Bachelor's degree (Hons) or Masters in Civil Engineering, or equivalent.
- Professional membership in the highways sector e.g., Institution of Civil Engineers, CIHT etc.
- Be willing to get involved in and to lead Business Development activities including attending and presenting at institutional events, networking event, conferences etc, to contribute to though leadership pieces and to promote our activities on social media.
- Experience in the use of Navisworks; AutoDesk Infraworks; Bentley Open Roads and Projectwise.
- Competent in key highway disciplines to be able to independently check the work of others.
- Experience of typical engineering forms of contract (e.g. NEC3)
- Experience of UK highway design codes and standards (Design Manual for Roads & Bridges, Manual of Contract Documents for Highways Works etc).
- Available to travel for short assignments when required to other UK and possibly overseas offices.