Principal Bridge Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Bridge Engineer to join our Croydon office and support a growing workload of exciting projects located in the UK and around the world. Our focus is on the use of our skills to deliver innovative and economic solutions for our clients. This has created an enviable reputation in the bridges discipline whether considering the design of new or the assessment of existing structures. As a Senior Bridge Engineer, you will be able to grow a career within our bridges business and you could be guiding the design, a section of the design or as a Project Manager you will be responsible to a Project Director for delivering the project.
Our Bridges division is recognised world-wide as being at the forefront of bridge engineering. Our portfolio includes award winning iconic structures such as Tsing Ma Bridge in Hong Kong, the back to back Bhumibol Bridges in Bangkok and Troja Bridge in Czech Republic. Our recent projects include the River Irwell Bridge (UK's first rail network arch bridge), Doha Orbital Highway, Hammersmith Suspension Bridge Assessment / Feasibility Study, and Lender's Technical Advisor for the Canakkale Bridge in Turkey, which will be the world's longest suspension bridge. We're also working on large high-speed rail infrastructure projects and UK rail projects such as the recently completed Wessex Capacity Upgrade / Waterloo Station Upgrade.
Our portfolio of technical work includes cable supported bridges, bridge dynamics, non-linear finite element analysis of structures, collapse modelling, as well as other heavy civil engineering structures and major transportation infrastructure projects.
Responsibilities will include various bridge structural analysis and design or assessment, involving:
- Leading and supervising design and/or advanced analysis for all types of assets, specialising in bridge structures
- Performing advanced analysis for a wide variety of (often complex) scenarios
- Guiding a team to analyse and design both code and non-code compliant structures to develop cost-effective solutions
- Mentoring and nurturing early career professionals within the team
As a Senior Bridge Engineer, your career has provided you with technical skills and structural knowledge which has given you the ability to translate your understanding of structural behaviours and analytical techniques into effective structural analyses and designs. Your experience in the analysis and design of complex bridges and associated structures means you're familiar working with industry codes (including Eurocodes) and standards and you like to push boundaries where appropriate. With your interpersonal skills, you have the ability to guide teams in the analysis of structures and also communicate effectively in face-to-face meetings with clients and colleagues.
You will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A Master's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering (MSc or equivalent)
- Chartered with a relevant professional institution (or equivalent)
- Practical design experience in the bridges industry
- Experience in analytical software packages such as Sofistik, RM Bridge, MIDAS, LUSAS, SAM and Staad (or similar)
Although not essential, it would be advantageous if you have previous experience in the analysis and design of cable supported bridges and structures as would demonstrative evidence of a highly innovative approach to work, the ability to work from first principals, and thinking "outside the box"
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture; Our dedicated inclusive recruitment page provides more information on our efforts and recognitions.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we support our staff to create work-life balance which works for them and welcome candidates looking for career flexibility. We are open to discussing flexible working at interview stage.
We can also offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.