Senior Design Engineer
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
Senior Design Engineer
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As a Senior Design Engineer, based in either our Birmingham, Croydon or Glasgow offices you will be responsible for supporting the cost effective, safe and high-quality approach to rail telecommunications design and consultancy works.
What you will contribute to the team;
- You will be involved in a range of design responsibilities and consultancy activities for a wide range of railway clients.
- Day to day responsibilities will include rail telecoms design input for multidisciplinary feasibility studies, option selection, outline design and detailed design.
- From a client side, you may be required to support client technical advisor or project engineering roles.
- Experience of Operational Telecoms, SISS, Networking or SCADA.
- Typical duties will include supporting or leading telecoms designs (as CRE), and:
- Undertaking site surveys (including daytime and over-night).
- Liaison with clients on technical matters throughout the design development and delivery process.
- Designing or Checking of telecoms engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects, in the form of Design Models and Drawings, including 2D CAD and 3D data driven models, CCTV and acoustic modelling etc.
- Production or checking of Design reports and submissions.
- Production or checking of Technical specifications.
- Acting as client technical advisor or project engineer.
- Observation of company quality, health & safety, environmental, commercial and project management disciplines and procedures, as relevant to tasks undertaken.
- Supporting tendering and bid process.
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, alongside other discipline Engineers for the delivery of projects.
- Working with other Telecoms Engineers within the local working office, other offices within the UK and abroad.
- Working with Global Design Services (located off-shore) for the production of design deliverables including drawings.
There may also be a need to travel to other locations (company or client office or site) within the UK and overseas.
Required for the position of Senior Design Engineer;
- Demonstrable experience in Operational Telecoms, SISS, Networking or SCADA.
- Preferrable rail experience including Telecoms Lead or CRE role.
- Good understanding of applicable Network Rail Standards, Railway Group Standards, British / European Standards and railway safety principles.
- Able to understand and interpret overseas standards (for projects abroad).
- Excellent written and verbal communication and good presentation skills.
- Effective organisational skills.
- Able to apply initiative and to take responsibility.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Educated to HND and/or degree level in electrical and electronic engineering or similar.
- Desirably a chartered engineer or working towards this status.
- Possess a reasonable level of IT skills and knowledge of railway engineering standards and practices.
- Agile, flexible and able to adapt to change easily to the working environment (including working with overseas Clients in different time zones, different working culture etc).
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
About the business unit
We help conceive, drive, and implement transport solutions for cities, regions, and asset owners/operators around the globe. From preparing the business case and advising on related issues - such as revenue, procurement, and environmental legislation - to delivering the completed infrastructure and helping maintain it. Our planning, engineering, environmental and management skills cover the whole project cycle. We play a major role in developing and delivering the Global Transport Sector Strategy.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
An annual professional institution subscription
Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
Other Information :
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We're a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients' businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person's differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence