Civil Engineer (Highways)
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Civil Engineer (Highways)
Following our continued growth and wider success in winning major projects across the UK and overseas, we are looking for a Civil Engineer to join our roads design team. This role can be based out of any one of our main offices across England including Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Leeds, Sheffield, Cambridge, London, Croydon, Brighton, Southampton. This is an opportunity to take a role in developing and growing our vibrant Roads Design team and contribute to achieving a high performing shared enterprise with our partners. You will be using our go digital platforms where you will be an integral part of the wider roads design teams located around the UK.
As an Civil Engineer you will work with the team to fulfil the needs of our clients across a wide range of projects. You will produce design documents to enable our clients to assist our clients in delivering sustainable highway construction projects. Additionally, you'll promote our health, safety and well-being policies and ensure these are incorporated in any design as well as ensuring design outputs meet our quality obligations and requirements set out in our Business Management System (BMS).
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Contributing to discrete design packages as part of multi-disciplinary teams
- Handling task programme and budgets
- Demonstrating technical ability
- Assisting Project Managers on schemes and Account Leaders with business development initiatives.
As an engineering professional, you have experience in highways design as well as practical knowledge of highways design standards and specifications. You will be self-motivated and capable of working independently or as part of a collaborative design team with other team members, clients and suppliers to deliver accurate and timely design documents. Additionally, you will be willing to travel to client site or other offices when required.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Working towards or interested in working towards chartership with a relevant professional institution such as ICE or CIHT (or equivalent)
- Familiar with Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB)
- Familiar with producing specifications in line with Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works, (MCHW)
- Experienced in working in multi-disciplinary teams
- In possession of good time management skills with the ability to prioritise your workload effectively
- A good communicator.
Although not essential, it would beneficial if you have:
- A degree level qualification in Civil Engineering (or a related discipline)
- Experience working on design & build projects
- Worked with central government, local authorities, contractors or passenger transport executives as clients
- Experience of working with NEC contracts and quality requirements including preparing and procuring contracts
- Previously worked on bids for local or central government opportunities.
Our Highways Division delivers services across the entire project lifecycle. Whether we are planning, designing and implementing new roads, or maintaining, managing, improving and operating existing highway networks, we deliver innovation, cost certainty and added value through collaborative working with clients and a culture of continuous improvement.
Our roads design service is primarily based in the UK, delivering projects to clients such as National Highways, Local Government and Design and Build Contractors. Our current project portfolio is very diverse and includes a place on the prestigious National Highways TA2 and Regional Delivery Partnership frameworks amongst others. We specialise in design and construction, progressing schemes from option identification and appraisal through preliminary and detail design to supervision of works on site. We also provide technical advice on asset management and construction procurement options administering contracts from tender assessment through interim valuations to settlement of final accounts.
We can offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
An annual professional institution subscription
Enhanced parental leave
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Other Information :
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.