Software Project Manager
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
The Technology & Systems (TS) team within Mott MacDonald develops and supports a diverse range of bespoke and product-based complex software systems for clients throughout the UK, internationally and within the Mott MacDonald group. These systems are developed by our in-house software engineering staff, utilising a wide range of programming technologies and deployment into varying technology stacks. We provide a dynamic, project-orientated development environment, with teams involved in the full lifecycle of system delivery from requirements definition through to design, development, platform configuration and ultimately live system support.
With the growth in demand for software engineering & Azure hosting across the business, we require a technically fluent project manager who would be based in our city centre Glasgow offices.
You will have a proven capability in project management across a portfolio of software projects and will have managed project-oriented development teams involved in the full software engineering lifecycle.
There will be elements of client liaison in the role, requiring an understanding of client requirements and the ability to develop these into opportunities for the development team. You will be comfortable in explaining issues and solutions in appropriate detail to clients of varying levels of technical understanding, fully demonstrating professionalism in all activities. The right candidate will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the future strategic direction of our business.
Reporting to the Head of Service for the Software & Systems Team, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Planning, leading and monitoring project work, primarily the delivery of quality software and associated technical services
- Understanding the client's requirements and ensuring we deliver them
- Liaising with clients to develop work and identify opportunities for further business
- Developing technical/financial proposals for work packages
- Rigorous application of our quality and governance processes
- Financial management of projects, handling budgets, monitoring costs
- Working with other project managers to coordinate pooled resources.
Your skills profile should include:
- A degree in a computing related discipline
- Proven practical experience in team leading or project managing software delivery projects
- Clear understanding of software design, coding, configuration management and testing processes
- Experience of successful project delivery to external clients through commercial contracts
- Experience of managing financial aspects of project delivery
- Experience with Microsoft Project or equivalent.
As an individual, you will also have:
Strong organisational skills
- Be highly motivated to learn fast and add value to our development team
- An ability to communicate effectively with customers, team members and senior management through applicable media
- Be proactive, able to demonstrate initiative and drive in coordinating and carrying out tasks
- Have an aptitude for problem solving
- Be a strong team player and highly motivated by shared success
Please note, Security-Check (SC level) security clearance is required for this role. Applicants must apply for this immediately once in-role or it can be transferred from existing employer.
If in addition if you also have these qualifications or additional experience, they would be advantageous:
- CEng or CITP Status
- Prince II Foundation or Practitioner
- APM Professional or Practitioner
- Agile Project Management Foundation or Practitioner
- Java or Web-based computer systems
- RDBMS-based computer systems
- Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS).
We can offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
An annual professional institution subscription
Enhanced parental leave
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.