Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
The Technology Services (TS) team within Mott MacDonald develops and supports a diverse range of bespoke and product-based complex software systems for clients throughout the UK, internationally and within the Mott MacDonald group. These systems are developed by our in-house software engineering staff. The support team play a vital role in the support services we provide and are responsible for service-desk, system maintenance, issue diagnosis and system deployment activities.
With the growth in demand for system support across the business, we are expanding our support team. Based in our Glasgow office, the key objectives for this role are handling support requests from our clients, resolution of system issues, routine system maintenance and involvement with the delivery of new systems across all platforms including Azure.
Within the team, you will work in a structured environment which promotes the delivery of a high-quality service to our clients and provides a framework for your continued growth. You will have the opportunity to be mentored by a talented technical team, who will set and support you in meeting challenging goals, ensuring your continued learning and development. The role will include working directly with our clients, remotely and occasionally on-site helping provide a wide range of support services.
Reporting to the Support Team Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Handling support requests from external customers and internal stakeholders via email and phone using our ITSM platform (Jira Service Management).
- Working with colleagues in the support and development teams to investigate and resolve reported issues
- Carrying out regular diagnostic checks on live, development and in-house systems
- Corresponding with end-users to progress issues raised
- Working with the development teams to perform system upgrades and to deploy minor configuration changes to live environment
- Producing regular system diagnostic, incident and performance reports for customers and internal stakeholders.
Some aspects of this job will require occasional work outside normal office hours, or on UK client sites, so flexibility is essential.
As a support engineer you will be self-reliant and able to work autonomously, integrating with the support team, supported by management and technical colleagues in both Glasgow and Newcastle to ensure tasks are completed and delivered to a high standard within our established processes and procedures. With a constantly evolving portfolio of diverse and unique projects, this role will provide you the opportunity to work for a variety of clients, using a wide variety of system and software technologies.
Essential academic, professional qualifications and experience:
- experience of working in a commercial system support environment
- Candidate should be qualified to HND level or above in a Computer Science (or a related computing discipline) subject.
- Security-Check (SC level) security clearance is required for this role. Applicants must apply for this immediately once in-role or it can be transferred from existing employer.
Essential technical skills:
- Experience in processing IT service desk requests, following through issues until resolved.
- Good working knowledge of Windows Operating Systems.
- Good technical writing experience, ability to write technical/client facing documentation
- Working knowledge of IT networking fundamentals and related infrastructure.
- Working knowledge of Linux Operating Systems
- Familiarity with SQL and relational databases.
- Familiarity with Virtualisation technologies.
- Familiarity with ITIL best practices and procedures
If you have any of these additional skills, you would be of particular interest to us:
- Knowledge of, and exposure to Microsoft Azure cloud services platform.
- Knowledge of, and experience with scripting languages (Linux, VB, Bash etc).
- Knowledge of PKI & VPN technologies.
- Experience in installing/maintaining Apache open-source components.
- Experience of maintaining and updating CMDB technologies such as ServiceNow.
- Experience of working within an ISO-27001 compliant environment.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
An annual professional institution subscription
Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes