Estimator - Environment and Water
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Are you an experienced Estimator seeking a new challenge?
Interested in joining a leading multi-million-pound organisation to work on a range of exciting schemes?
Do you wish to take on a role with excellent opportunities for long term career progression?
About the team
Our environment and water portfolio is primarily a UK based business delivering project, programme and commercial management services to regulated water/wastewater clients and the Environment Agency. Our work stretches across the entire project lifecycle, from pre-contract cost estimating and benchmarking to post contract QS services and commercial assurance. For project and programme management we deliver capital projects on behalf of our clients, both internal and external that range from several hundred thousand pounds in value to major projects and programmes worth over £0.5billion. Additionally we are the home of the cost intelligence service, a specialist team of data analysts and economists who provide expert advice across all sectors on inflation and indexation. We currently work with around half of the UK's regulated water and wastewater companies.
What you will contribute to the team;
- Be responsible for the provision of cost estimates up to appropriate Delivery Milestone within the programme area.
- Develop the estimating working practices within the programme area
- Ensure governance of all stakeholders is achieved within agreed timescales
- Ensure stakeholder costs are broken down to an appropriate level
- Provide high level solution costs for risk and value process evaluation
- Compile & submit to Procurement Department initial 'requisition' procurement schedule to identify forward demand
- Ensure that the challenge of sustainability is recognised within the proposed solution including carbon benefits.
- Liaison with 3rd Parties - including land compensation, enabling teams etc and ensure adequate provision has been made for the respective allowances in the estimate
- Be responsible for the utilisation and implementation of standard products within the estimating package:
- Lean techniques, to increase predictability and productivity whilst reducing waste
- Standard products in the Product Catalogue within programmes
- Liaise with stakeholders to provide advice and identify risk and opportunities
- Ensure Programme and estimating package are aligned
- Ensure that the delivery team have a clear understanding of the delivery strategy;
- Solution cost build ups including detailed scheme breakdowns for gang structure, materials and production outputs etc. are provided at pre-start meeting
- Clear understanding of the financial issues of each scheme - risk & opportunities
Required for the position of Estimator;
- A degree in an Engineering, Construction Management, Quantity Surveying or relevant experience
- ACostE/MRICS/MCIOB qualified or working towards
- Familiarity with an existing estimating package CANDY, CONQUEST CAUSEWAY COST EX etc.
- Extensive experience of working in infrastructure projects, ideally in the water sector but not limited to
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with clients and colleagues
- Understanding of how TOTEX (Total expenditure) is calculated using Capital Expenditure, Operational Expenditure, Whole Life cost and Embedded / Operational carbon values to provide whole life cost solutions to our clients
About the unit
The advisory and programme delivery division delivers services to projects ranging in scale and complexity from £million's to £20bn, through the technical disciplines of programme management, project management, project controls, scheduling, cost management, estimating, infrastructure finance, management consulting, digital consulting, education and healthcare management.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
Equality, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) are at the heart of our organisation. We promote equal opportunities and have several initiatives to create an inclusive workplace culture; Our dedicated inclusive recruitment page provides more information on our efforts and recognitions.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
- Agile working