Senior Hydraulics Engineer - Water Projects
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Senior Hydraulics Engineer - Water Projects
You will have a strong technical background and expertise in hydraulic analysis and design and you will be motivated to work on complex projects and provide effective and innovative solutions to problems, through the application of technical best practice. You will be able to understand water projects holistically and work in collaboration with other teams (mechanical, process, structural, environmental) for the successful delivery of multi-disciplinary projects.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Leading hydraulic analysis on a range of projects, such as transmission pipelines, surge analysis, hydraulic design of water and wastewater treatment works, stormwater storage tunnels, etc
- Producing and reviewing engineering calculations, specifications, drawings and reports
- Proactive management of design risk to deliver constructable design solutions
- Supporting continuous improvement of procedures and processes to drive efficiency and innovation, contributing to the application of our digital engineering initiatives
- Mentoring more junior colleagues. Providing technical guidance and advice on best practice in hydraulic design to others
- Engaging regularly with the Client and stakeholders to ensure the efficient delivery of projects, providing regular updates on progress and status of work within own area of responsibility, as well as identifying and communicating issues that could risk programme, quality or cost
- Working collaboratively across disciplines to ensure the efficient delivery of projects within your portfolio
- Engage with best practice and be responsible for own professional development
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Senior Civil Engineer with the following attributes:
- Membership of a relevant professional chartered institution, such as ICE or CIWEM
- Significant technical experience of pressurised and open-channel hydraulics applied to the field of civil engineering
- A track record of applying hydraulics theory and best practice into practical applications in the water industry
- Significant experience in hydraulics and surge analysis and design for water and wastewater treatment, transmission pipelines, and large scale drainage systems through one or more stages of a project life cycle
- Experienced user of surge analysis tools such as WANDA or Bentley Hammer
- Experienced in development of hydraulic calculations and hydraulic profiles for water and wastewater treatment works
- Able to control and report on project budgets within area of responsibility, and experienced in the preparation of time and budget estimates for proposals
- Proven ability to lead a portfolio of technical projects, ensuring compliance with relevant quality assurance and technical standards and support the development of less experienced staff
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary water pipeline and networks projects with other technical disciplines including environmental specialists, geotechnical, structural, electrical and mechanical engineers
- Strong collaboration and communication skills to be able to enter into technical discussions in a logical and coherent fashion in both oral presentations and written reports, to colleagues, non-technical staff and clients
A drive to be abreast of professional development and knowledge of current and emerging technical solutions
- Experience in transmission pipeline design, e.g. route and material selection, hydraulic design, steel pipe wall thickness calculations, thrust restraint solutions, etc
- Experience in CFD applied to the water industry
- Experience in supervision of physical scale modelling studies
- Experience in clean water network modelling using software such as EPANET, WaterGEMS or Infoworks
The Water Consultancy Division is the centre of excellence within Mott MacDonald for responding to water and wastewater delivery capability challenges, providing support to colleagues across our global business, and offering the best opportunities to get involved in diverse and technically challenging work. Our team continues to grow off the back of our sustained success in both the domestic and international water sector, for major utility companies and on high profile capital schemes.
We have an exciting opportunity for a senior civil engineer to join our team of hydraulics specialists. You will lead the design and analysis for a range of projects and topics, such as transmission pipelines, surge analysis, hydraulic design of water and wastewater treatment works, stormwater storage tunnels, etc. Get in touch if you want to know more and are keen to be involved in the development of innovative solutions to solve these very real challenges.
Do you want to be part of an employee owned company where our unique independence affords us the opportunity to focus on projects that matter to us - those focusing on delivering social outcomes and enhancing the environment, that harness digital innovation and that challenge our technical excellence? Working for a company like ours, with technical excellence at our core, offers you access to industry recognised experts in a variety of disciplines, to provide support and career development opportunities. At Mott MacDonald, we are a collaborative team, excited to solve complex challenges that have a positive impact on the world, and we are always looking for like-minded people to join us. For more information about our Water sector click here
We are an equal opportunity employer, and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture. There is the option for this role to be full time or part-time. We operate an agile working policy with the expectation that you will be present in your chosen office location more often than not, fluctuating as required to suit business and individual needs.
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.