Electrical & Plant (E&P) Senior Design Engineer - Rail
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Due to recent large project wins and an expanding team, an exciting Electrical Design Engineer role has become available within the Mott MacDonald E&P team. We're looking for someone with previous Contractor's Responsible Engineer (CRE) experience or someone who is ready to start taking on CRE responsibilities which we would support and mentor you through.
Day to day responsibilities will include undertaking CRE roles and the designing and checking of:
- The provision of low voltage electrical engineering input into feasibility studies, option selection stages, outline design and detailed design.
- Production of Computer Aided Design (CAD) drawings and Building Information Modelling (BIM) to support the electrical design.
- Production of lighting and electrical calculations using industry-standard software.
- Delivery of engineering (design and consultancy) specific tasks.
- Visiting site to undertake condition assessment of operational railway electrical equipment.
- Conduct risk assessments, identify hazards, and use the principles of Safe by Design.
- Contribution to the engineering design of multi-disciplinary railway engineering (design and consultancy) projects.
- Electrical design of signalling power supplies, points heating, earthing&bonding, control centres, stations, junction lighting, level crossings
- Observation of company quality, health and safety, sustainability, commercial and project management procedures, as relevant to the tasks being undertaken.
- Supporting and mentoring early career professionals.
You will have a part to play in developing designs and specifications, working with an experienced team to guide you on the way. We will put a development action plan in place to help guide your technical and soft-skill development and ensure that you have a plan that supports your career aspirations. This is an opportunity to be part of building a more sustainable and reliable rail system for the UK, including the introduction of new methods of integrated transport and high speed rail solutions.
As an integral member of the team, you will have an opportunity to increase your knowledge; undertake new and stretching opportunities; support projects across the UK, whilst also being able to raise your profile and showcase your talents within a global engineering, management and development consultancy focused on guiding its clients through many of the planet's most intricate challenges.
We would like you to have some of the experience listed below:
- Demonstrable experience in low voltage electrical engineering design and/or construction within the UK rail industry
- Good understanding of applicable Network Rail Standards, Railway Group Standards, British / European Standards and railway safety principles
- Previous CRE experience
- Higher education in electrical engineering - preferably degree or HNC/HND
- Completion of an electrical apprenticeship or previous electrical installation experience
- Professional registration (i.e., IEng or CEng)
- Excellent written and verbal communication and good presentation skills
- Effective organisational skills
- Able to apply initiative and to take responsibility
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team
- Previous experience of CAD, BIM and electrical calculation software
- Be customer focused and able to work to programme delivery timescales
- Ideally you will need to live in a commutable distance to one of our Altrincham, Birmingham, Glasgow, Leeds or York offices as the teams that will support you are based there
We promote an agile working policy, and the role will require some travel, occasional overnight stays and potential secondments.
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.