Senior Environmental & Sustainability Consultant
Job Type: Full time
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Our team leads on the coordination and management of EIAs and other environmental and sustainability deliverables at all stages of the environmental planning process. You will have the opportunity to coordinate inputs from different multidisciplinary environmental technical specialists and help shape environmental and sustainability strategy for our clients, assisting them in delivering environmental and sustainability outcomes for the benefit of both people and the planet.
Our ESS team undertakes various forms of environmental assessments and sustainability appraisals, liaising with clients, engineers and design teams to identify potential environmental and social constraints, develop suitable mitigation measures, and determine ways in which environmental enhancement and sustainability can be built into project delivery.
Digital innovation is at the forefront of our work, and we embrace the use of emerging digital technologies.
As a Senior Environmental and Sustainability Consultant, you will work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team, alongside engineers, town planners and a range of environmental and social specialists and will engage with a diverse range of clients, from both the public and private sector. You will join a highly collaborative group of environmental specialists, delivering a broad range of environmental projects and advisory services, with focus on EIA.
There shall be opportunity to work on projects that help our clients achieve their net zero carbon commitments, deliver nature-based solutions and become climate resilient.
It is a very exciting time for us, and we would welcome your application for this role in our Glasgow Team (or Aberdeen, Inverness, Edinburgh).
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Leading environmental and sustainability teams to deliver sustainability strategies, management plans, EIAs and Sustainability Appraisals. You will lead EIA screening and scoping studies and manage the delivery of EIA and environmental reports.
- You will have a key role in project delivery, working closely with our clients and leading our environmental assessment workstreams.
- You will also assist with the analysis of potential impacts, working with the wider multidisciplinary team to develop sustainable designs and produce mitigation plans, as well as reviewing technical reports produced by others.
- Engaging with a diverse range of clients and stakeholders, from both the public and private sector. This could be via public consultation events, stakeholder workshops, public inquiries or industry events.
- Preparation of fee estimates, proposal writing and general business development activities and will have a key role in delivering our ESS services and growing the business.
- People management including coaching and mentoring of junior team members in their technical and career development.
Candidate qualifications, skills and experience to include:
- BSc and MSc (desirable) in a relevant environmental subject.
- Chartered with a professional institution (e.g. CIWEM, IEMA) or equivalent level and working towards chartership.
- Demonstrable knowledge of relevant environmental and sustainability legislation in the UK.
- A successful track record in project and construction environmental management, working with design teams to deliver large infrastructure projects.
- Experience of a range of consenting processes (e.g. town and country planning, marine, transport and works order etc) would be advantageous.
- Experience of working in a client facing environment and ability to build relationships and influence stakeholders to deliver positive outcomes.
- Experience of proposal writing or other business development activities would be advantageous.
- Some experience of mentoring or line management would be beneficial.
- Well organised with strong planning and management skills, with ability to produce high quality deliverables and manage budgets and programmes.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to problem solve, think creatively, and seek continual improvement.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
Mott MacDonald is a global engineering, management and development consultancy, with over 100 years of experience behind us. Our purpose is to improve society by considering social and environmental outcomes in all we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our client's businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
This role has been created to support and grow our Environment & Social (ENS) business. You will be part of our Environmental & Sustainability Services (ESS) team that consists of an expanding team of environmental and sustainability professionals located across 18 offices spread throughout the UK.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Environmental & Sustainability Consultant to ideally be based in our Glasgow office. However, for the right person, there is the opportunity to work from our Aberdeen, Inverness or Edinburgh office, where we also have ESS team members.
Our team is involved in a diverse range of projects across a number of different sectors, including but not limited to highways, rail, energy and water projects for a variety of clients including local authorities, the Environment Agency, TfL, HS2, National Highways, Network Rail, water/energy companies and many more.
Our industry-leading role providing Environmental and Sustainability advice and expertise across all stages of project and programme lifecycles means that we have numerous opportunities in front of us, including both smaller schemes delivered under the Town and Country Planning Act, and significant infrastructure schemes delivered through Development Consent Order (DCO) and opportunities to shape and influence our clients on their strategic environmental and sustainability direction and goals. Your role will be central to delivering this service.
Mott MacDonald adopts an agile approach to working which allows for a mix of home and office working, along with adjusted hours to suit the candidate.