GIS Consultant (Transport)
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
Due to strong growth, the GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and Data Analytics team in Mott MacDonald's Integrated Transport Division is looking to expand. Our team's spatial skills help our clients plan their networks across all modes of transport - from new high-speed rail lines to new low-traffic neighbourhoods. Our delivery area's include: Geospatial, data analytics and digital delivery skills are increasingly in demand to plan transport networks, deliver sustainable infrastructure, and manage transport assets in the face of social, technological and economic change.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Processing, analysing and presenting geospatial datasets to solve transport planning problems.
- Managing a variety of spatial and non-spatial datasets, including vectors and rasters of all types and sizes.
- Producing both static maps and online web maps and related applications.
- Checking outputs for compliance with quality requirements and industry best practice.
- Liaising with clients and other project stakeholders.
- Undertaking business development activities, such as contributing to method statements for proposals.
Essential competencies and qualifications:
- Degree qualification in GIS, geography, data science, economics or other relevant disciplines (or equivalent evidence of continued professional development).
- Experience of ESRI products (ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Enterprise).
- A track record of using spatial data analysis tools to solve problems.
- Excellent data analysis skills in MS Excel (e.g. pivot tables, nested formulas, array formulas).
- An understanding of current transport planning and policy issues; or alternatively, a strong and demonstrable desire to develop a career in the transport sector.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Desirable competencies and qualifications:
- Master's degree or above in one of the above relevant subject areas.
- Experience of working in a consultancy environment.
- Experience of working with large transport datasets (e.g. public transport timetables, or outputs from strategic transport models).
- Experience of working with socio-demographic and economic data.
- Experience of working with Ordnance Survey (OS) data.
- Experience with Python, SQL, QGIS and FME
- Experience with PowerBI or Tableau.
- A track record with relevant clients.
If you don't meet all of the essential competencies and qualifications, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements. We value enthusiasm, continuous professional development and a capacity to take on new challenges.
As a GIS Consultant in the transport sector, you will use your technical skills to develop solutions that improve how we collect, manage, analyse, and present geospatial information for projects of all sizes. You will undertake geospatial analysis to create project deliverables such as maps, reports and web applications.
You will be joining a diverse and growing team of consultants, who are working on projects such as:
- Preparing the transport evidence for the HS2 Phase 2b Hybrid Bill for the Parliamentary Select Committee.
- Optimising the roll-out of electric vehicle charging infrastructure in Scotland, using geospatial analysis and machine learning.
- Accessibility analysis for major city regions in England, showing how improvements to public transport services contribute to more equitable '20-minute cities' where everyone can access key amenities without needing to drive.
- Planning future cycle networks in cities across the country, using interactive geospatial tools to display current network assets and opportunities to deliver new infrastructure most efficiently.
You will also participate in knowledge sharing and professional excellence activities in Mott MacDonald's Global GIS and Digital Delivery community of over 700 specialists worldwide.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
An annual professional institution subscription
Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We're a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients' businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person's differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence