Senior Environmental and Sustainability Consultant
Job Type: Part time
The Environmental & Sustainability Services (ESS) team consists of over 130 environmental and sustainability professionals located across 18 offices spread throughout the UK. ESS are involved in a diverse range of projects across a number of different sectors, including but not limited to highways, rail, energy and water projects for a variety of clients including local authorities, the Environment Agency, water/energy companies and many more.
ESS lead on the coordination and management of Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA's) and various other environmental and sustainability deliverables at all stages of the environmental planning process, helping to coordinate inputs from different multidisciplinary environmental technical teams. The ESS team undertake various forms of environmental assessments and sustainability appraisals, liaising with clients, engineers and design teams to identify potential environmental and social constraints, develop suitable mitigation measures, and determine ways in which environmental enhancement and sustainability can be built into project delivery. Digital innovation is also at the forefront of all work undertaken, with several team members skilled in the use of GIS and ESS fully embracing the use of emerging digital technologies.
As a Senior Environmental and Sustainability Consultant, you will work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team, alongside engineers, town planners and a range of environmental and social specialists and will engage with a diverse range of clients, from both the public and private sector. You will join a highly collaborative group of environmental specialists, delivering a broad range of environmental projects and advisory services, with special focus on environmental impact assessments.
You will lead EIA screening and scoping studies and manage the delivery of EIAs and final environmental reports.
You will also assist with the analysis of potential impacts, working with the wider multidisciplinary team to develop sustainable designs and produce mitigation plans, as well as reviewing technical reports produced by others.
Opportunities also exist to support on the management of environmental issues during the construction phase of projects.
- BSc and MSc (desirable) in a relevant environmental subject;
- Chartership through a relevant organisation;
- Demonstrable knowledge of environmental impact assessment (EIA) and relevant legislation in the UK;
- Successful track record in environmental co-ordination;
- Experience of ESIA (international environmental assessment practice) or environmental construction support or CEEQUAL would be desirable;
- Experience of proposal writing or other business development activities would be advantageous;
- Ability to work in a Mott MacDonald office location on a regular basis;
- Flexible to work away from your home office when required;
- Excellent 'self-starting' capabilities;
- Some experience of mentoring or line management would be beneficial.
As the UK's National Infrastructure Plan continues, projects in the power, rail, highways, aviation and water sectors need the input of talented environmental specialists to ensure the best outcomes for communities and their surroundings. We are passionate about providing our clients with sustainable solutions by constantly looking at challenges from a fresh angle, and are looking for like-minded, forward-thinking individuals to join our growing team in one of our main environment hubs around the UK. Our clients currently include National Highways, HS2, TfL, Network Rail, the Environment Agency and a wide number of Local Authorities and water companies.
About the business unit
Environmental and social considerations are central to Mott MacDonald's Purpose and its offerings across all sectors and territories. Our environment and social business provides essential services and innovative solutions which anticipate our clients' needs across all sectors.
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.