Principal Environmental and Sustainability Cons - Water Sector
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
This role has been created to support and grow our Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Environmental Management capabilities in water sector projects across the UK. The water sector is at the core of Mott MacDonald's heritage, and we have 100 years of experience behind us. We collaborate closely with most of the UK water and sewerage companies and are at the forefront of water resource planning and development across the sector. This position, and our industry-leading role in the current strategic water resource options means that we have numerous opportunities in front of us, both smaller schemes delivered under the Town and Country Planning Act, and significant infrastructure schemes delivered through Development Consent Orders (DCOs). Your role will be central to delivering this service.
You will be responsible for supporting the wider Environmental & Sustainability Services (ESS) team and leading on a range of predominantly water sector planning and consenting projects. Working with our sectoral and client account leaders to provide technical leadership and advice, you will also work alongside the full range of technical disciplines we offer on some of the largest infrastructure and development projects.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leading environmental and sustainability teams to deliver sustainability strategies, management plans, Environmental Impact Assessments and Sustainability Appraisals. You will lead EIA screening and scoping studies and manage the delivery of EIAs and final environmental reports.
- You will have a key role in project delivery, working closely with our clients and leading our environmental assessment workstreams.
- You will also assist with the analysis of potential impacts, working with the wider multidisciplinary team to develop sustainable designs and produce mitigation plans, as well as reviewing technical reports produced by others.
- Engaging with a diverse range of clients and stakeholders at a Senior level, from both the public and private sector. This could be via public consultation events, stakeholder workshops, public inquiries or industry events.
- Preparation of fee estimates, proposal writing and general business development activities and will have a key role in delivering our ESS services and growing the business.
- People management including coaching and mentoring of junior team members in their technical and career development.
- Qualified in a related technical subject (Minimum of a Bachelor's degree essential).
- Qualified to Master's degree level in a relevant subject (desirable).
- Chartered with a professional institution (e.g. CIWEM, IEMA) or equivalent level and working towards chartership.
- Significant experience in EIA and UK environmental and sustainability legislation and policy, DCO experience would be beneficial.
- Experience working in diverse multi-disciplined teams and leading teams to produce environmental and sustainability deliverables to a high standard.
- Experience working in client facing environment and ability to build relationships and influence stakeholders to deliver positive outcomes.
- Well organised with strong planning and management skills, with ability to produce high quality deliverables and manage budgets and programmes.
- Strong IT skills.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Ability to problem solve, think creatively, and seek continual improvement.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
The Environmental & Sustainability Services (ESS) team consists of over 130 environmental and sustainability professionals located across 18 offices spread throughout the UK. ESS are involved in a diverse range of projects across several different sectors, including but not limited to highways, rail, energy and water projects for a variety of clients including local authorities, the Environment Agency, water/energy companies and many more. ESS lead on the coordination and management of Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) and various other environmental and sustainability deliverables at all stages of the environmental planning process, helping to coordinate inputs from different multidisciplinary environmental technical teams.
The ESS team undertake various forms of environmental assessments and sustainability appraisals, liaising with clients, engineers and design teams to identify potential environmental and social constraints, develop suitable mitigation measures, and determine ways in which environmental enhancement and sustainability can be built into project delivery. Digital innovation is also at the forefront of all work undertaken, with several team members skilled in the use of GIS and ESS fully embracing the use of emerging digital technologies.