Senior Flood Risk Modeller
Job Type: Full time
Senior Flood Risk Modeller
With an increasing impact of climate change, flood risk is becoming a major threat to our communities and infrastructure. From pluvial to fluvial, coastal and groundwater flooding, the catastrophic events are growing and national/local governments, asset operators and infrastructure developers are demanding a more detailed quantification of the threat and more efficient and sustainable flood protection measures. Flood modelling is playing a prominent role in supporting these adaption efforts and we want to reinforce our team to serve our national and international clients better. As a Senior Flood Risk Modeller, you will be a key figure in the UK Water Resources and Flooding team, and your remit will cover a range of technical, management and commercial/client-facing activities. You will be part of a large community of flood modellers and flood risk practitioners with a long history in delivering these services and you will have the opportunities to develop your career towards becoming a recognised expert in the field.
You will have particular responsibility for:
- Leading the delivery of flood mapping and flood forecasting projects, flood risk assessments and reservoir flood studies
- Contributing to the effective design of flood alleviation schemes
- Managing projects and maintaining client relationships
- Assisting with winning work and the development of new business within the flooding sector
- Providing technical guidance, support and training to junior colleagues and assisting, where practicable, in the mentoring and development of others
- Innovating in the area, developing digital tools and new approaches in flood hydrology and modelling
Our minimum candidate specification is as follows:
- Professional consultancy experience in flood modelling including standard software and FEH techniques
- Proven track record in delivering flood risk management studies
- Good communication and written skills
- Ability to guide and mentor junior staff
- Well organised and able to prioritise your own workload with minimal supervision
- Understand the importance of prioritising health, safety and environmental issues
- Degree level qualification in hydrology, geography, mathematics, civil engineering, or other related discipline
- Chartered with an appropriate professional body
We are looking for someone with a proven track record in flood modelling who can help us deliver a range of exciting projects and contribute towards growing our flood risk management services. You will have experience of taking a senior role in hydrology and hydraulic modelling studies, guiding junior staff, talking to clients and stakeholders and steering project outcomes. You will work well with others and always be looking for a way to improve the way we do things and deliver social outcomes. We deliver the full range of flood risk projects that you could be involved in, to provide innovative solutions to our clients.
- Flood mapping studies - we are a long track record in supporting the regulators as well as asset owners in updating their flood risk maps. We also deliver these services overseas using innovative solutions in data scarce regions.
- Flood alleviation schemes - we are helping design flood alleviation schemes across a range of locations in the UK with hydrology and flood modelling being integral to the design and construction process.
- Large infrastructure schemes - such as road, rail or water supply projects. Helping develop solutions that reduce flood risk and provide wider social outcomes.
- Natural flood management - quantifying the flood risk benefits of using nature-based solutions and delivering wider outcomes.
- River restoration projects
- Reservoir flood assessments - we provide flood modelling support to our reservoir engineers
If you have a passion for all aspects of flood management and enjoy using a range of modelling tools to help understand flood risk from all sources, we would like to hear from you.
We can offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
An annual professional institution subscription
Enhanced parental leave
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
About Mott MacDonald
We're a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients' businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person's differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence