Senior Design Engineer
Location: West Midlands
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As a Senior Design Engineer, based in either our Birmingham, Croydon or Glasgow offices you will be responsible for supporting the cost effective, safe and high-quality approach to rail telecommunications design and consultancy works.
What you will contribute to the team;
- You will be involved in a range of design responsibilities and consultancy activities for a wide range of railway clients.
- Day to day responsibilities will include rail telecoms design input for multidisciplinary feasibility studies, option selection, outline design and detailed design.
- From a client side, you may be required to support client technical advisor or project engineering roles.
- Experience of Operational Telecoms, SISS, Networking or SCADA.
- Typical duties will include supporting or leading telecoms designs (as CRE), and:
- Undertaking site surveys (including daytime and over-night).
- Liaison with clients on technical matters throughout the design development and delivery process.
- Designing or Checking of telecoms engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects, in the form of Design Models and Drawings, including 2D CAD and 3D data driven models, CCTV and acoustic modelling etc.
- Production or checking of Design reports and submissions.
- Production or checking of Technical specifications.
- Acting as client technical advisor or project engineer.
- Observation of company quality, health & safety, environmental, commercial and project management disciplines and procedures, as relevant to tasks undertaken.
- Supporting tendering and bid process.
- Working as part of a multi-disciplinary team, alongside other discipline Engineers for the delivery of projects.
- Working with other Telecoms Engineers within the local working office, other offices within the UK and abroad.
- Working with Global Design Services (located off-shore) for the production of design deliverables including drawings.
Required for the position of Senior Design Engineer;
- Demonstrable experience in Operational Telecoms, SISS, Networking or SCADA.
- Preferrable rail experience including Telecoms Lead or CRE role.
- Good understanding of applicable Network Rail Standards, Railway Group Standards, British / European Standards and railway safety principles.
- Able to understand and interpret overseas standards (for projects abroad).
- Excellent written and verbal communication and good presentation skills.
- Effective organisational skills.
- Able to apply initiative and to take responsibility.
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Educated to HND and/or degree level in electrical and electronic engineering or similar.
- Desirably a chartered engineer or working towards this status.
- Possess a reasonable level of IT skills and knowledge of railway engineering standards and practices.
- Agile, flexible and able to adapt to change easily to the working environment (including working with overseas Clients in different time zones, different working culture etc).
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.