Traction Power Technical Specialist
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
This is a very exciting opportunity to become a member of our large, well-established and dynamic Traction Power & EMC team providing specialist consultancy services to an extensive list of international tier 1 clients in the fields of: traction power, earthing & bonding, stray current and electromagnetic compatibility.
The work is varied and involves contribution to and/or responsibility for technical delivery of: feasibility and option engineering studies, power system studies, concept designs, technical specifications, detailed designs, support through construction and commissioning, bespoke technical investigations, etc.
Secondment to client project offices within the UK as well as short to medium-term assignments in one of our many overseas offices (Australia, Canada, USA, etc.) are also possible depending on your career aspirations and the right opportunities arising. You will also be given the opportunity to develop and apply your project management and business development skills.
Reporting to and working with the Traction Power Team Leader in Croydon, your day-to-day work will include a combination of the following:
- Formulate scope of work, methodology and associated programme/budget to support bids;
- Undertake site surveys, asset records correlation and on-site record verification;
- Prepare and/or review technical reports, feasibility studies, option selection reports;
- Undertake and/or supervise power system modelling work (using ETAP and TRAIN, Mott MacDonald's multi-train simulator);
- Prepare and/or review outline and detailed designs for AC and DC electrification schemes including distribution and contact systems (electrical track equipment);
- Undertake/review earthing & bonding and protection studies;
- Provide input to other disciplines, including: Civils/Structures, SCADA, LV Power, Signalling and Signalling Power, System Assurance, etc.;
- Undertake construction sites inspection, on site design verification;
- Interface with clients (prepare and give presentations, chair meetings, etc.);
- Carry out bespoke technical investigation, which may require on-site measurements;
- Mentoring of junior staff.
- First Degree in electrical engineering or equivalent;
- Good working knowledge and demonstrable experience in AC and/or DC railway traction power, ideally with involvement in multidisciplinary design and construction projects;
- Experience in Design Management (or other equivalent design leadership responsibility).
- Membership of a relevant professional institution;
- Chartered Engineer status or nearing to achievement of professional registration;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to draw logical conclusions based on limited information;
- Growth mindset combined with the ability to learn new skills on the job;
- IT skills: proficiency in usage of MS Office suite: Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
- Experience of design independent assessment;
- Appreciation of environmental issues associated with rail engineering works;
- Line management experience;
- IT skills: proficiency in usage of ETAP modelling software or similar, TRAIN simulation software or similar, BIM and associated CAD software package (AutoCAD, Bentley AECOsim and Microstation);
- Good working knowledge and demonstrable experience of Network Rail projects
- Network Rail Personal Track Safety pass.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.