Senior Carbon and Sustainability Advisor
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
Senior Carbon and Sustainability Advisor
We are currently looking for a senior carbon advisor with experience in infrastructure and the built environment to join our climate change and asset management team.
The successful candidate will have solid experience within a similar role and would be responsible for the delivery of carbon management advisory projects for a wide range of clients in the water and other infrastructure sectors.
- Leading the winning and delivery of strategic carbon management and climate change projects
- Provide senior inputs in carbon assessments/footprinting for infrastructure investment appraisal studies
- Support our team improve existing carbon quantification tools to align with latest good practice
- Work with our water and other infrastructure specialists to identify future sustainability and climate change opportunities with our water sector clients
- Developing carbon management strategies for water utilities and other infrastructure clients
- Asset management/planning and engagement with infrastructure clients
- Assessing the performance of projects against national and international standards and to inform the development of project design taking into account carbon management and other sustainability metrics
We are looking for motivated strategic thinkers, who want to generate the best possible outcomes for our clients, the environment and society, with an interest in developing their knowledge and experience, joining our existing team of carbon specialists, climate scientists, data scientists, engineers, environmentalists, asset managers and investment planning advisors in infrastructure.
- Relevant science, engineering or other related degree
- Excellent numerical skills, including the use of Excel and other tools
- Knowledge of legislation and policy influencing carbon and climate change
- Experience in leading the delivery of carbon footprinting / carbon management projects across a range of project types delivery against scope, quality and budget, especially in the infrastructure sector
- Utility scale water sector experience - experience in other infrastructure sectors desirable
- Well-rounded knowledge on wider sustainability and climate change issues
- Project management, client liaison and consulting skills
- Keen interest in developing your technical and commercial skills
- Knowledge of key methodologies and data sources associated with carbon footprinting and carbon management, (e.g. PAS2080: Carbon Management in infrastructure, among others)
- Experience in engaging with clients, particularly asset owners, to open new carbon advisory opportunities and turn them into project work and clear deliverables
- Experience of using asset information
- Asset Management and investment prioritisation experience
- Experience with water sector (or other economic infrastructure sectors) regulation and drivers
- International experience could be beneficial, but is not essential
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
Carbon management is a key driver for all infrastructure clients and the wider built environment with most organisations now having ambitious carbon reduction and net zero carbon targets. This includes Europe, Australasia and increasingly regions such as the Middle East, North America and others where there is now recognition that investment in low carbon infrastructure is needed to meet the Paris Agreement goals.
In this role you will apply your knowledge and experience on a diverse range of advisory projects and strategic/feasibility studies, particularly in the infrastructure sectors including water. You will have the opportunity to further develop your skills across different areas of our portfolio, such as carbon strategies, applying standards such as PAS 2080, developing low carbon solutions and decarbonisation roadmaps, and business improvement initiatives in infrastructure owners amongst others.
We are seeking a Senior Carbon Specialist who will represent the company in technical meetings, supervise the work of more junior staff, and provide technical and professional guidance to aid their development. This role will present you with a fantastic opportunity to further develop your technical and management skills through your project work, with great prospects for career progression as the business continues to grow.
At Mott MacDonald, we're wholly owned by colleagues who work in our business. Being independent means that we can choose our own direction and focus on what we believe is important for our clients, our people and those communities which we work and live in. We are dedicated to deliver Social Outcomes through the use of digital innovation and excellence in what we do. We are a family of people excited to solve complex challenges that have a positive impact on the world, and we are always looking for like-minded people to join our team.
Environmental and social considerations are central to Mott MacDonald's Purpose and its offerings across all sectors and territories. Our environment and social business provides essential services and innovative solutions which anticipate our clients' needs across all sectors.
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.