Project Principal (Commercial)
Location: Greater Manchester
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for it's employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As Project Principal (Commercial) within the Rail Division, you will be responsible for the Commercial functions whilst delivering a range of complex infrastructure projects for clients, including Network Rail. This is a client-facing role with engagement in all aspects of Mott MacDonald's Rail projects, including scheme, proposal development, budget & programme management, client interaction and overall delivery to the required scope, budget, programme and quality standards.
This role is key to managing the commercial functions on allocated projects within the Rail portfolio, from inception through to final account and close out, to deliver maximum commercial results.
The role will report into the Head of Discipline for Project Management, Rail with the key areas of responsibility and accountability to include, but not be limited to:
- Participate in helping deliver the commercial strategy within the Rail portfolio
- Manage, develop and train the best practice commercial processes across the Rail portfolio of projects
- Raise commercial awareness and embed commercial focus and best practice across each project team
- Manage all contractual matters from inception to close out, via in depth understanding of the contract and its implications for profit delivery
- Previous working knowledge will be required on a number of contract terms, including but not limited to: NEC3, NEC4 and Network Rail Standard Conditions etc.
- Set and manage budgets ensuring all costs are correctly allocated into the relevant WBS
- Drive the recording of all contractual entitlements, ensure timely notification of events and accurate pricing and substantiation of change, including the negotiation and agreement of variations with client and supply chain
- Manage the Risk & Opportunities process to allow for the identification of Risk and Opportunities during the tender and delivery phases and ensure the Commercial function delivers contractual solutions and strategies that balance these risk and opportunities
- Establish and maintain rigorous cost controls including early warning systems and provide robust accurate financial data and management reports on each project through the monthly reporting cycle.
- To interface with all levels of the Project Management Team, demonstrating strong influencing and Stakeholder Management skills.
- Undertake any other reasonable duties as requested
- Working knowledge of finance systems and various forms of contracts
- Cost and budget administration
- Financial and commercial reporting to board level
- Proven experience working on high value projects
- Excellent communication skills and able to relate to others at all levels
- Ability to work in a virtual environment, be self-sufficient and pro-active
- Flexible attitude and a 'can do' approach, able and prepared to work to deadlines
- Able to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Proficient in MS office computer applications such as Excel and Word.
If you meet 80% or more of what we're looking for, please still apply. We understand not everyone will meet all the requirements, but you might have skills we didn't know we need.
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.