Assistant Quantity Surveyor
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
As Assistant Quantity Surveyor you will be working as part of a large multi-disciplinary team providing commercial support. This will include working closely with project managers and design managers to ensure successful delivery of projects on time and to budget. You will support with the control of both internal and external commercial aspects of projects across a range of contractual arrangements.
What will the role offer?
You will have opportunities to work on some of the UK's largest Transportation projects, working with key clients and with experts from across Mott MacDonald and the industry. We are passionate about collaborating to deliver high quality solutions with a focus on sustainability, social value and technical excellence.
Some examples of the areas that you may be able to work on;
- Rail - We provide support to major rail infrastructure projects across the UK. We are particularly proud to be involved with Crossrail, HS2 and Northern Powerhouse Rail along with a large number of other projects.
- Highways - We work closely with National Highways supporting them on a variety of projects across the UK.
- Ports - Our ports team covers aviation and maritime projects and we are seeing a lot of growth in this area with opportunities at key airports in the UK as well as further afield.
- Local Authority - we support a wide range of local authorities across the country with their transportation projects. These projects often cover elements of rail, highways, sustainability and social value.
Mott MacDonald is proud to support the professional development of all employees, funding one professional institution subscription per year and providing learning and development opportunities to support team members as they progress to chartership.
What you will contribute to the team;
- Support and advise the project manager in respect of fulfilment of all contractual obligations.
- Produce detailed cost plans throughout the design phase of projects.
- Actively promote and implement Value engineering and value for money
- Review appraise and report on Main Contract / Sub-contract tenders
- Monitor and process on behalf of the client commercial queries from consultants and contractor's.
- Attend progress meetings to respond to commercial matters raised.
- Attend internal management meetings to input to reporting processes
- Check submitted assessments and applications and process
- Clarify any queries with consultant or contractor and agree with project managers.
- Carry out periodic commercial checks and due diligence in conjunction with the project manager to ensure information submitted corresponds to records held by the consultant or contractor.
- In conjunction with the project manager provide ongoing assessment of consultant or contractor's estimate to completion.
- Provide regular detailed finical report forecasting final project costs
- Receive and check consultant or contractor's final account. Negotiate any amendments and reach a final figure and recommendation for acceptance or rejection.
- Act in accordance with the project leaders instructions
- Comply with QES system and group/unit directives
- Preparation of monthly management reports
- Secure new and repeat business in line with the sub-divisional budget
- Prepare estimates and cost plans in line with the brief
- Preparation of standard documentation - reports, valuations, letters, financial statements etc
- Assess applications for payment inline with the contract terms
- The production of lessons learned report
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our 15-minute application via our website. Our talent acquisition coordinators aim to provide feedback within 5 working days with the outcome of your application. More information about our application process can be found here. If you have any questions regarding your application or the role, please reach out to the dedicated recruiter listed who will be more than happy to help.
Mott MacDonald is Work180 accredited - which means we actively support and encourage women to join our work force!
Benefits we offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Life insurance
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Continuous development opportunities - because we want you to thrive
- Agile/flexible working - because life isn't 9-5
- Enhanced parental leave; shared parental leave policies - for parents and care givers
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits that suit you, including cycle to work & interest free season ticket loans .
- The opportunity to make a difference; learn more about our social outcomes
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.