Senior Heritage and Archaeology Consultant
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees?
Mott MacDonald are a global engineering, management and development consultancy focused on guiding our clients through many of the planets most intricate challenges. At times, these challenges need to consider the historic environment. Archaeology and heritage are the foundation of a society's culture; developments that may affect them must be planned to minimise harm as well as impacts on cost and programme. Our Heritage Team is one of the largest heritage consultancy teams in the country and working with our diverse client base from both the private and public sectors, we help manage these challenges whilst also making the most of the opportunities the historic environment offers.
Would you like to join a talented multidisciplinary team who are as passionate as you about our heritage? Due to a significant growth of the heritage work we are involved in Wales, we're looking for a motivated Senior Heritage and Archaeology Consultant to join our team and lead the development of our Welsh offering from our office in Cardiff. If you have a passion for the past, combined with relevant qualifications and experience, then we want to speak with you.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
For more information about our environment sector, click here.
What you'll do
Reporting to a regional Heritage Lead and other senior members of the Mott MacDonald Heritage Team, you will work on everything from advising on how to manage the historic environment as part of large national infrastructure schemes, to assessing heritage impacts of smaller development sites. Our range of work will give you the opportunity to get involved in many aspects of the historic environment, including historic buildings and historic landscapes, allowing you to apply and expand your existing knowledge, develop new skills and identify your own interest and specialism in the historic environment.
You will also work within wider multidisciplinary project teams, which will aid your development through understanding the different challenges that each technical area faces and working collaboratively to generate the best outcomes.
Depending on your skills and our project requirements your work is likely to cover:
- Leading on inputs into heritage assessment reports, such as Heritage Statements and Historic Environment Desk. Based Assessments, and heritage inputs into EIAs.
- Using GIS to map heritage assets.
- Undertaking site-walkover surveys, archive and library visits.
- Liaising with clients and stakeholders to help deliver great schemes and identify opportunities to enhance historic environment.
- Working with other professionals, including designers, engineers and environmental specialists, to realise the best schemes that benefit our clients and the environment.
- Helping manage heritage surveys, such as historic building recording and archaeological surveys.
- Growing our heritage offering across Wales.
- Being part of a team who support each other with project work and professional development.
In your application you should be able to demonstrate your interest in the opportunity to work with Mott MacDonald, as well as your suitability to the role through demonstrating relevant experience. The below details the essential and desirable candidate specifications, as well as the characteristics we're looking for.
- A degree in archaeology/heritage (or in a related subject)
- Strong knowledge of the historic environment in Wales and the wider UK
- Excellent report writing and communication skills
- Flexible attitude to work, including a willingness and ability to undertake site visits that require overnight stays away from home
- At least 5 years of experience in the heritage sector
- Experience of working in the heritage sector in Wales
- Ability to speak and write in Welsh to a high standard in order to produce Welsh language non-technical summaries and communicate in Welsh to various stakeholders
- Experience of working in consultancy
- Knowledge and experience of GIS
- Strong understanding of the role of the Welsh and UK planning system in regard to the historic environment
- Experience in contributing to academic archaeological fieldwork
- Experience of providing advice to clients and contribute to client and project meetings
- First Aider
- CSCS card holder
- Full driving licence
- Full membership of IHBC or CIfA
We are looking for graduates with the following characteristics:
- Methodical approach to problem solving
- Ability to use your initiative to undertake tasks efficiently and independently
- Excellent verbal communication skills, which allow you to confidently liaise with clients, colleagues and team members alike
- Excellent written communication skills and report writing
- Attention to detail and ability to analyse technical information and drawings