Principal Java Engineer
Location: Remote - Global
Job Type: Full time
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 3,200 specialists in consumer, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government, health and life sciences, manufacturing, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Europe, and the Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
As a Principal Java Engineer, you'll be leading a team or effort. We'll be looking at you to set direction and take responsibility for successfully achieving an outcome or deliverable. You may have a team of people to support, leading a development pod, or else you could be working across multiple pods, providing some centralised expertise necessary for a larger program of work.
- You'll have expertise in architecture and will feel comfortable leading higher-level architectural discussions.
- Using your experience of the development process, it’s likely you’ll own the overall process across a pod, or multiple pods, building strong principles and putting robust methods and patterns in place.
- You will be comfortable having conversations with the client regularly, being one of the main points of engagement between the client and the project.
- Coaching and mentoring the team will be important in the role.
- Your involvement in shaping bids (working with a bid team) will assist to create approaches or proposals, and perhaps you may also add valuable contributions during presentations to clients in a formal selection process.
- You'll play an active role in account management.
As a Senior Java Developer, you’ll have experience working in teams to deliver robust and scalable solutions for the automation of complex business processes. Your team members will look to you as a trusted expert and will expect you to define the end to end software development lifecycle in line with modern best practices.
Your experience spans across projects with different architecture approaches, you have an understanding of SOA or Microservices and you are familiar with asynchronous messaging architectures. You recognize the importance of using logging and monitoring best practices and you have experience in applying security principles to your applications.
Your application experience typically covers Java 8+, enterprise frameworks such as Spring, RESTful services with JSON, SCM tools like Git, a variety of tools for building the code such as Maven or Gradle and testing frameworks like jUnit and Mockito. Moreover, you have experience integrating Java applications with relational databases and you have used JPA implementations such as Hibernate.
You enjoy working within cross-functional Agile teams and you are familiar with Scrum ceremonies.
DevOps principles underpin everything you do, and Continuous Integration, Delivery and Deployment will not be new terms. You’ll understand and have realised the value of these practices through past experiences and will have helped design and build deployment pipelines using tools like Jenkins, command line utilities and infrastructure templates.
You’ll be comfortable designing and building for the cloud, preferably AWS, Google Cloud Platform or Microsoft Azure and will have designed and worked on architectures that include Platform-as-a-Service components and perhaps even serverless and container technologies.
- Private medical insurance
- Interest free season ticket loan
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Voluntary benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
PA is committed to building an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people can excel. We believe that greater diversity stimulates innovation, enabling us to fulfil our purpose of ‘Bringing Ingenuity to Life’, supporting the growth of our people, and delivering more enduring results for our clients.
We only recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.