Senior Google Engineer
Job Type: Full time
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 4000 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists.
We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
**Please note we are recruiting this opportunity for 2023 start date**
Become part of the Team
As a Senior Google Engineer, you are a practicing member of the team, designing, writing and testing code. You'll be competent at owning and delivering solutions and being the design authority for how features are implemented.
You can expect to use your knowledge of architecture; our clients will look to you for advice and contribution in higher level architectural discussions.
You're familiar with the development process, and take ownership for certain aspects of the process by putting appropriate methods and tools in place.
You will have regular conversations with clients, and be a point of contact between the client and the project team.
Coaching and mentoring more junior members of the team, and deputising for the team principal, will be important in the role.
Your involvement in shaping bids (working with a bid team) will assist to create approaches or proposals, and perhaps you may also add valuable contributions during presentations to clients in a formal selection process.
You'll play an active role in account management.
What We’re Looking for
PA is a Google Cloud Premier Partner and we create innovative solutions using the whole spectrum of Google Cloud products and services, as well as other leading cloud platforms.
One project might need you to modernize and transform a legacy application with cloud technologies and the next might see you creating an innovative new digital product through a series of agile sprints.
Working in an agile development team is highly sought after, where you're applying development practices which may include;
- Agile sprints to deliver incremental code.
- TDD and/or BDD approaches, considering outcome at design. Knowledge of test automation.
- Secure development and architectural practices, as well as knowledge of non-functional considerations.
- Working alongside others in the team to develop design, elaborate user stories and deliver estimates during story pointing.
- Reviewing code and merge requests with your teammates to provide assurance on a release.
- Developing code using CI/CD tools, such as Google Cloud Build, Jenkins or similar.
- Working against a branching strategy, contributing code regularly to repo E.g. git, svn or cvs.
- Resolving root cause analysis and troubleshooting solutions, perhaps using Stackdriver logs and debugging tools.
- Using your working knowledge of OOP and implementing design and concurrency patterns.
- Writing clean, readable, maintainable and reusable code.
- Appreciating scalability, high availability and disaster recovery requirements and how these relate to Google Cloud services.
- Using fundamental tools and languages E.g. Google Cloud SDK, SQL, Unix, PowerShell, Shell Scripting, HTML and CSS.
- REST APIs and web application frameworks E.g. Spring, Jersey, Python, Flask, Node.js, ASP.NET, React.
- External and embedded databases, relational and NoSQL, E.g. MySQL, Postgres, Cloud Datastore, MongoDB, Flink, Cassandra, SQL Server, Postgres. Developing schemas for supporting business logic and data.
- Developing solutions in the cloud, using Google Cloud Platform (GCP), AWS or Microsoft Azure.
- Microservices architecture, including containers and serverless implementation. E.g. Kubernetes, App Engine, Docker, OpenShift, AWS Lambda or Cloud Functions.
- JIRA for tracking progress and traceability.
PA’s common technology components:
- App Engine, Cloud Functions
- Cloud Endpoints
- Kubernetes Engine, Compute Engine
- Cloud SQL, Cloud Spanner and BigQuery
- Dataflow, Apache Beam
- Microservices patterns
- Event-driven architectures and message queues
- Relational and non-relational databases
Languages and frameworks
- Common frameworks such as Spring Boot, Guice, Jersey, Node.js, Flask, .NET Core
- Knowledge of JVM, its limitations, weaknesses, and workarounds
- Building tools such as Maven and Gradle
- CI/CD tools, such as Jenkins and Google Cloud Build
- Using a range of technologies and libraries in the Java ecosystem.
- Image authoring tools.
- SEO principles and developing compliant applications.
As a Senior Software Engineer (Consultant), you are a practicing member of the team, designing, writing and testing code. You'll be competent at owning and delivering solutions and being the design authority for how features are implemented.
- You can expect to use your knowledge of architecture; our clients will look to you for advice and contribution in higher level architectural discussions.
- You're familiar with the development process and take ownership for certain aspects of the process by putting appropriate methods and tools in place.
- You will have regular conversations with clients and be a point of contact between the client and the project team.
- Coaching and mentoring more junior members of the team, and deputising for the team principal, will be important in the role.
- Your involvement in shaping bids (working with a bid team) will assist to create approaches or proposals, and perhaps you may also add valuable contributions during presentations to clients in a formal selection process.
- You'll play an active role in account management.
Benefits at PA:
- Private medical insurance
- Travel allowance
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Additional optional benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
PA is committed to building an inclusive and supportive culture where diversity thrives, and all of our people can excel. We believe that greater diversity stimulates innovation, enabling us to fulfil our purpose of ‘Bringing Ingenuity to Life’, supporting the growth of our people, and delivering more enduring results for our clients.
We only recruit, promote and reward our people based on their contribution, without regard to gender, race, disability, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.