Applied Science - Summer Internship
Job Type: Full time
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 4000 specialists in consumer and manufacturing, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government and public services, health and life sciences, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists.
We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Netherlands and Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
Power Your Curiosity at PA
Joining us as an intern is the next step in starting your career. Whether you’re coming from a specialist background or from an unrelated subject, we want you to be bold, stay curious and dive into the opportunities we have to offer.
Our People Make a Difference
If you want a balance of technology, commercial and real-world applications, coupled with an opportunity to work across a broad range of industry sectors, then this might be what you have been looking for.
At PA Consulting we have a unique combination of industry expertise and engineering capability. At our dedicated Global Innovation Technology Centre in Cambridge UK, we develop award-winning products and manufacturing processes, helping clients understand and use technology more effectively.
A career at PA is what you make of it — so power your curiosity and prepare to make an impact.
In your internship you might find yourself getting involved in developing a new medical device, new diagnostics, or a new consumer product. And because we think (and work) fast, you could see a product at any stage from concept through prototype manufacture and even launch.
During your weeks as an intern at PA, you’ll learn some of what it takes to be a top-notch consultant. You’ll be coached and guided by experts and have countless opportunities to broaden your experience on challenging projects and programmes. Whatever you work on, you’ll be part of the team and free to build your networks, both here at PA and far beyond.
What we're looking for
- You’ll be on track to gain a degree in a biological science, Chemistry, Materials Science or Physics (or equivalent).
- Are credible and comfortable working with clients in high performance environments
- Can build strong relationships— with both clients and peers
- Are curious and want to broaden their understanding of the world
- Can be adaptable and able to flex their style and thinking
- Are motivated by finding new ways to solve problems
- Have an enthusiasm for applying cutting edge physics to address real-world challenges
- Can demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Are excited to learn and apply new technical skills and rapidly acquire domain expertise
- Are comfortable both working in a hands-on lab setting and performing desk-based research or modelling
- Have an enthusiasm for communicating complex scientific concepts to experts and non-experts alike
- Are collaborative and work at their best in dynamic, multidisciplinary teams
- Are hungry for new challenges
This role is open to undergraduates in their penultimate year of university. If you intend to return to university after the internship to complete an MSc, you will also be eligible for this position.
- We translate science and technology into commercially viable break-out products and processes
- We give our clients a true competitive edge by using fundamental science to develop new technology concepts, understand how to bring them to reality, and then do it practically
- Flexible healthcare plans
- Competitive leave allowances
- A wide range of internal and external training programmes
- 3 days’ volunteering for a charity of your choice through our ‘Give as You Earn’ scheme
- Your work base will be our Global Innovation & Technology Centre, Melbourn, Cambridge
- Full time
- This role will start in June 2023 – for 6-8 weeks. Exact dates will be confirmed at offer stage.
- Salary: Competitive
Inclusion & Diversity
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skill sets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.