Lifestyle Reviews Writer
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
About The Telegraph
The Telegraph is an award-winning, multimedia news brand synonymous with quality, credibility and authority for more than 162 years.
We are renowned for the analysis, perspective, opinion and insight our journalism provides to a diverse and discerning audience. Every day the content we create sets the news agenda, sparking debate and provoking comment.
Our journalism is given life across our multi-platform portfolio, including The Telegraph website and app, The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph newspapers and their digital version in The Telegraph Edition app. Our content is also distributed on a range of third-party platforms including Apple News, Facebook, Snapchat, Google Home and Amazon Alexa. With 25 million UK visitors every month and 90 million browsers globally, our journalism reaches more people than ever before.
Our vision is to pioneer new ways to serve at least 10 million registered customers through quality journalism and experiences, bringing them closer to us and each other. We’ll achieve this with the constant evolution of our journalistic techniques and by using the data and understanding we have of The Telegraph’s well-informed audience to successfully further diversify into and grow revenue streams from advertising, travel, events, financial services and subscriptions.
For more information on our purpose, beliefs and people values, please visit our corporate site. To see our latest brand campaign visit telegraph.co.uk/wordschosenwell.
About the Role
We are looking for a talented writer to create high-quality product reviews and consumer content for The Telegraph’s many online lifestyle channels.
The main role will be writing authoritative product reviews for the Telegraph Recommended channel: anything from TVs to sports gear, kitchen utensils to fitness trackers. This is a crowded marketplace, so we need someone who understands what our readers want from a range of products. Reviews must be thorough and cut through the noise when delivering analysis and expertise.
The secondary role will be editing and updating consumer content in other Telegraph sections including Food & Drink, Fashion, Beauty, Health & Fitness, Family, Gardening and Culture, as well as regularly updating internal links.
- Writing new online content for Telegraph Recommended and other Telegraph channels and updating existing evergreen content with new products and prices
- Working with the Affiliate, Recommended and SEO teams to find new ways the Telegraph can drive engagement, registrations and subscriptions via product-based content
- Building (ie online publishing) articles to The Telegraph’s highest publishing standards
Essential skills required for the role
- Accomplished writer. First and foremost, you need to be able to craft authoritative, engaging copy to house style, across a broad range of subject areas.
- Knowledge of SEO principles and best practices. Telegraph Recommended articles are search-optimised, so your headlines, stand firsts and copy will need to employ keywords and key phrases (supplied by the SEO team) in an organic and fluent way.
- Ability to think critically. You’ll need to identify what our readers need from different products and then research, call in and evaluate products from that perspective.
- Confidence in developing a point of view and expressing it to a diverse audience. Your reviews will often guide our readers in purchasing high-value products so will need to be mature, balanced and intelligent.
- Previous online writing experience, ideally in a busy national newsroom.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Interest in consumer technology and the latest lifestyle products for the home and garden
- Experience building and publishing content via content management systems, ideally Adobe Experience Manager
- Familiarity with Adobe Photoshop
- Understanding of affiliate programs in a publishing context
- Organisational skills and the ability to work calmly under pressure at busy times
- Candidates will ideally be NCTJ-qualified.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
- Access to formal tech & digital skills training
- Access to LinkedIn Learning
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Our organisation is on a continuous journey to achieve this sense of belonging, with focused inclusion policies, training, and internal networks. We believe it’s not only the right thing to do but that there’s a strong business case to support it. Because if you feel you belong, you’ll feel more comfortable, so you’ll be more likely to achieve your best.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.