Deputy Editor, Homepage and App
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
The Telegraph is an award-winning, multimedia news brand synonymous with quality, credibility and authority for more than 160 years.
We are renowned for the analysis, perspective, opinion and insight our journalism provides to a discerning audience. Every day the content we create sets the news agenda, sparking debate and provoking comments.
Our vision, with quality journalism at the heart, is to pioneer new ways to serve 10 million registered users and 1 million subscribers. We’ll achieve this with a constant focus on our journalism, and by using the data and understanding we have of The Telegraph’s audience to successfully grow our revenue streams from subscriptions to advertising, travel, events, and financial services.
About The Role
As Deputy Editor of the Telegraph Homepage and App, you’ll ensure the Telegraph website and app homepages present a compelling offer for our audience by selecting stories, writing headlines and choosing pictures that engage readers. In this senior role, you’ll be responsible for responding quickly to the news agenda and ensuring that all content on the digital front page of the Telegraph meets the standards expected of a world class news publisher.
You will have the chance to work across a variety of content in a fast-paced newsroom and alongside some of the country’s best journalists in their field. This is an exciting challenge to make a real impact in driving subscriptions and audience engagement in a globally renowned organisation that puts quality first.
- Drive a compelling homepage that reflects the Telegraph's values, puts subscribers first and grows the Telegraph's audience.
- Ensure telegraph.co.uk and the Telegraph app are entertaining and informative platforms – with the best possible stories, headlines, pictures and visual assets at all times.
- Support the Homepage and App Editor in their strategy and planning and deputise for them when they are away. This may involve attending and presenting at the editor’s conferences.
- Send lively and eye-catching notifications for breaking stories and top-performing features to the Telegraph app and other platforms that host our content. Send Breaking News emails when appropriate.
- Work closely with commissioning editors and digital heads across news, lifestyle, business, sport, video, pictures and design/graphics channels to produce content in a timely way, to the highest publishing standards.
- Liaise with analytics, SEO and social media to ensure priorities are met.
- Ensure content selected for the homepage meets the Telegraph’s high quality of digital publishing.
- Monitor analytics to understand what is performing well and what could be improved.
- Experience with a respected website, national or regional newspaper or broadcaster – particularly within a breaking news environment. (Essential)
- Sound news judgment and understanding of the news agenda. (Essential)
- Ability to write headlines with a variety of tones. (Essential)
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure. (Essential)
- A team player who can win the confidence of colleagues and stakeholders. (Essential)
- Expertise in digital publishing, with knowledge of SEO a prerequisite. (Essential)
- An understanding of the Telegraph audience and subscription model. (Desirable)
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Our organisation is on a continuous journey to achieve this sense of belonging, with focused inclusion policies, training, and internal networks. We believe it’s not only the right thing to do but that there’s a strong business case to support it. Because if you feel you belong, you’ll feel more comfortable, so you’ll be more likely to achieve your best.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.