Senior Digital Product Designer (UX/UI)
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
About the Telegraph
For over 160 years, The Telegraph’s stories, dispatches, interviews, and investigations have set the agenda, sparked debate, and provided generations of readers with a trusted source of news, information, and opinion.
Our vision, with quality journalism at the heart, is to pioneer new ways to serve 10 million registered users and 1 million subscribers, by 2023, a vision we all stand behind. We wouldn’t be one of the world's most successful media organisations without the talent, determination, and creative spirit of our people. As our readers’ needs evolve, it's more important than ever that we recruit original thinkers and innovative individuals who can keep us at the forefront of our industry. That means not only journalists but also marketers, analysts, designers, engineers, and much more.
We want to foster the diversity of thought through our people and create an inclusive working environment that allows everyone to be their authentic selves at work while creating a sense of belonging to ensure have the highest performing teams.
Role purpose and overview
The Telegraph are looking for a Senior Product Designer to join it’s Product Design team, a friendly and ambitious group of multidisciplinary designers and developers.
It’s an exciting opportunity to lead and shape the future of our customer journeys. Day to day you’ll be collaborating with peers and stakeholders. creating experiences that keep our users coming back time and again. From paywalls and cancellation strategies to bespoke journalism pieces and design system components.
Data and user research will be your secret weapons and you won’t be afraid to dig into the numbers, heatmaps or conduct research to get to the bottom of a problem. Failures are as important as successes and being able to build upon our learnings is a key part of the design process.
You’ll see design as more than just appearances, and be driven to make something that works as well as it looks. You’ll be capable of pivoting between macro and micro details, and keen to collaborate with product owners, key business stakeholders and delivery teams to build a vision of how we reach our target of 1 million subscribers by the end of 2023.
- Lead on a range of projects, from the big to the small, the experimental to the practical, collaborating with other design teams, developers and stakeholders across the business to achieve shared goals.
- Conduct and plan user research with readers, interpreting results to identify needs and put your learnings into action.
- Continuously iterate and improve our experiences, using our in-house research and data tools to identify pain points and opportunities for improvement
- Work to define and design iterative A/B and MVT testing programmes to validate your ideas, learning through failures as much as successes
- Facilitate workshops with business owners, stakeholders and collaborators, capturing requirements and documenting outcomes
- Develop high quality visual designs with a keen eye for typography, colour theory, grid systems and knowledge of user interface approaches across a range of digital platforms
- Excellent stakeholder management; confident presenting to stakeholders of any seniority, collating feedback and translating into actions for your team
- Capable of working on both fast paced deadlines and longer term projects, juggling several at once upon occasion.
- Contribute to and help maintain The Telegraph Design System
- Lead and mentor more junior designers
- Be a motivated team player, ambitious in your thinking and brave in your designs, with the ability to perform well under pressure
Skills required for the role
- A strong portfolio demonstrating a good eye for graphic design, digital design patterns and interactions, and understanding of the product development process
- A BA in a design related degree, or similar experience
- Experience and knowledge of design software, such as Figma, Sketch and Adobe Creative Cloud, as well as prototyping tools, such as Invision, etc.
Additional skills useful for the role
- Experience in front end development
- Previous work experience in news media organisations or subscription industries
- Able to create graphic items to support the design, including icons, illustrations, animations and interactions.
- Experience of working with and managing a Design System
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Our organisation is on a continuous journey to achieve this sense of belonging, with focused inclusion policies, training, and internal networks. We believe it’s not only the right thing to do but that there’s a strong business case to support it. Because if you feel you belong, you’ll feel more comfortable, so you’ll be more likely to achieve your best.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, working families, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech.
Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last two years to help support our employees. We’ve also signed the Tech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.