Director of Digital Sales & Innovation - 12 Month Contract
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Contract/temp
The Digital and Innovation dept is responsible for delivering the digital, partnerships, and syndication revenue budget; driving best in market premium digital publishing practices through the commercial organisation to elevate our capabilities, products, revenue and profit; and achieving this in ways which consistently support The Telegraph’s editorial proposition and subscriptions and ARPS success.
The Director, Digital Sales will be part of the Managing Director, Digital Innovation’s senior management team with 3 core objectives:
- Direct responsibility to ensure the total digital ad budget is achieved and in growth year on year, both via monetising our TMG digital assets and via Ozone and other 3rd parties.
- Collaboratively ensuring that all digital revenues grow appropriately across the wider department including into other teams’ targets
- Contribute directly to ensure that we are leaders in premium publisher narrative, product innovation, yield growth and revenues; and that the digital team supports the business’s subscription targets by all means available to us.
- Achieve or exceed total digital advertising revenue targets.
- Collaborate with our partners at Ozone on achievement of BAU programmatic revenue growth, and the development of initiatives to support appropriate growth, particularly via continued yield growth and increased fill rate
- Ensure we grow 3rd party revenues with particular focus on selling what we have available and developing partnerships that complement editorial product and subs strategies
- Maximise revenues and relevant propositions and partnerships via newsletters, podcasts, Twitter, and other editorial initiatives, in collaboration with the partnerships team
- Developing, with the Head of Digital Sales, market leading relationships with senior leads at key agencies and clients for the direct benefit of our digital and partnerships revenues
- Directly leading presentations and sales efforts as appropriate to support revenue growth and the efforts of the Head of Digital Sales and team
- Personally directly and proactively taking the lead on digital first client accounts and agency accounts (according to dept contact map) where there is significant new business or growth opportunity.
- Direct line management of, and development of a collaborative partnership with, the Head of Digital Sales to help them achieve their own and their team’s targets
- Direct line management and development of the Technical Partnerships Manager
- Developing the Head of Digital Sales to achieve their objectives and develop their skills, experience, market profile, and project exposure upwards to be your natural deputy or successor
- Working with the Director, Digital Solutions and team, and Director, Commercial Data Strategy, and broader product teams to develop best in market premium advertising propositions and innovations
- Leading specific digital product innovation projects for the benefit of the wider business, with the oversight of the Senior Director, Digital Solutions
- Supporting the subs org and especially subs acquisition and ARPS growth at every opportunity
- Contribute to thought leadership on key topics impacting the business
- Work collaboratively with stakeholders across the business on relevant projects and initiatives.
- Be a coach, mentor, collaborator, team player, to the digital teams and wider business
- Act as a strong sounding board to the MD, Digital & Innovation and work in conjunction with other key members of the leadership team to deliver against our priorities.
- Can demonstrate a proven track record in managing publisher digital sales teams and programmatic teams to hit revenue targets
- Experience in leading product or innovation projects to deliver revenue growth and improved user experience, and taking them to market, and demonstrating success
- Demonstrable success building partnerships and revenue growth from 3rd party platform partners, and other key 3rd parties
- Experience of working closely with editorial in a premium publisher environment to develop digital initiatives together. Sophisticated understanding of how to collaborate with editorial and product to deliver successful outcomes and growth
- Strong executive maturity and interpersonal skills; ability to influence internally at senior leadership and executive level to achieve best business outcomes
- Comfortable presenting at a senior level; ability to craft narrative to position TMG as the premium digital publisher in market; demonstrable success at proactively pitching and winning new business; hunger and drive to grow new business; strong individual salesperson who understands managers’ role as personally leading external sales effort
- Senior level contacts across agencies, holding groups and clients
- Excellent strategic and operational business awareness, with a deep understanding of the key drivers, levers, issues and constraints of digital businesses
- Encourage and drive an entrepreneurial and disciplined culture, leading by example
- Be an ambassador for the MD, Digital & Innovation and the wider commercial business
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, andinteresting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and equal parental pay (six months fully paid for mothers and fathers), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
We want you to feel you belong here and welcome candidates from all backgrounds. Our organisation is on a continuous journey to achieve this sense of belonging, with focused inclusion policies, training, and internal networks. We believe it’s not only the right thing to do but that there’s a strong business case to support it. Because if you feel you belong, you’ll feel more comfortable, so you’ll be more likely to achieve your best.
We have a number of internal networks that are totally inclusive and open for anyone to join. These include internal inclusion networks covering employees from ethnic minority backgrounds, workingfamilies, LGBTQ+, disabilities and long-term conditions, gender, wellbeing, and women in tech. Your wellbeing is paramount, so we have trained over 100 Mental Health First Aiders in the last twoyears to help support our employees. We’ve also signed theTech Talent Charter, and are committed to driving greater inclusion and diversity in tech.