Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Role purpose and overview
We have two Lead Designer vacancies, one will cover News and the other in Sport.
These sit within the newsprint design team which creates compelling page layouts that help tell our stories. Situated at the heart of the newsroom, you’ll work with editors across a range of desks, from news and sport to food and gardening. From designing the front page of the newspaper to commissioning illustrations or debating which picture is the most compelling, you’ll need to respond to all the challenges the world throws at you.
We are looking for an editorial designer to work across the live sections of both The Daily and Sunday Telegraph and also designing digital assets.
Ability to work shifts and be office based is essential for this role.
- Design and direct editorial pages and layouts in a creative and innovative manner to a high quality in the house style designing pages from scratch or using libraries and templates.
- Support the Art Director, as needed, in their duties
- Direct and guide designs of more junior members of the team
- Advocate innovative design solutions to editorial challenges as and when appropriate.
- Meet all editorial deadlines.
- Work with editors, art directors, and picture editors to fully understand, interpret and shape the briefs provided by the editorial team.
- Champion the high standard of The Telegraph's style and tone of voice, and ensure it maintained across all design solutions
- Attend relevant daily and weekly editorial conferences, representing the voice of design Commission illustrations, graphics and photography when needed.
- Be able to work a flexible five-day rota across a seven-day operation
- A strong visual voice on the floor, debating the output with editors and section editors.
- Proven experience in a similar role.
- Must be an enthusiastic and dedicated designer, with a desire to exceed expectations.
- Track record of producing creative editorial pages consistently to a high standard.
- Strong grasp of all Adobe software, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop.
- Manage personal workflow, and the workflow of others, and be able to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong communication skills in order to liaise with different areas of the business.
- Experience in commissioning illustrators and illustration
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance, and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.