Desk Manager & PA to Head of Sport
Telegraph Media Group
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Role purpose and overview
The Desk Manager and PA to the Head of Sport will provide administrative support to the Head of Sport to ensure the smooth running of the department.
This newsroom-based role will include diary management, processing of payments, travel booking, desk rotas, applying for accreditations as well as other tasks.
- The main challenge of this role is to maintain systems that will allow the effective management (costs and general) of the editorial function, and to offer support to the Head of Sport, senior Editors and the reporting team.
- Taking the lead on planning and making arrangements for all travel, accommodation and accreditation for multiple team members attending key events such as Olympic Games, World Cups etc and working to allocated budgets
- Assisting Editors with creating the staffing weekly rotas
- Onboarding of permanent and casual workers across the department ensuring all IT equipment, logins and building access are in place
- Inputting contributor payments and processing of invoices
- Ensuring expenses are filed on time and performing quality control checks in line with the expenses policy
- Using Risk Assessment portal to make sure all relevant journalists and photographers have valid annual risk assessments in place
- Helping writers with travel arrangements as necessary
- Overseeing team holiday and absence records, and arranging and managing all casual staffing requirements
- Managing all information and correspondence into the office
- Monitoring and distributing News Tips via voicemail line alongside other Desk Managers
- Highly organised and capable of working well under pressure. You’ll need to be detail-oriented in order to ensure the smooth running of the department.
- Excellent numeracy skills.
- A confident communicator and team player.
- A good basic understanding of the editorial function and how it operates.
- Previous editorial experience.
- Proficiency working within Google Suite.
The nature of our industry means life at the Telegraph Media Group is fast-paced, demanding, and interesting. We also want it to be rewarding for everyone who works here by creating a suite of benefits that contribute to lifestyle choices and leisure activities. From dynamic working opportunities, medical cover, and parental leave (six months fully paid maternity leave and enhanced paternity/partner leave), to life assurance and season ticket loans, you can choose from a range of flexible benefits, designed to support your lifestyle and help you achieve a healthy work-life balance.
Training and development
With support from your manager and colleagues, you’ll also have access to a variety of training and development opportunities through The Academy. Covering a range of personal and professional skills, our courses enable you to develop an enjoyable and rewarding career.
Our commitment to inclusion
At Telegraph Media Group, we foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds. We believe in equality of opportunity and welcome candidates from all backgrounds, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief.
We are proud to be a Disability Confident Employer as part of the government’s Disability Confident Scheme. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition and would like support in applying for any of our roles or if you require any reasonable adjustments in the recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
To find out more about Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging at Telegraph Media Group, and for more information on our purpose, beliefs, and people values, please visit our website.