Business Development Director (Public Sector)
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Thoughtworks is at a tremendously exciting point in its 29 year history as a digital pure play services company that is growing at 30% yoy, with ambitious plans to double its business over the next 3 years on the back of being a preferred digital transformation partner to clients in both the private and public sectors. Thoughtworks Modern Digital Business framework and the Global Service Lines continue the expansion of the range of services and capabilities we are able to offer our clients.
We are looking to continue the journey in building perfection in all key areas of our business by acquiring the right talent, clients, approaches, and engagements.
To move this forward, we are searching for experienced, passionate and driven individuals to help achieve our ambitious growth plans. This is an unusual chance to define future and current demand pipelines in several sectors, during a period of significant growth and evolution of our company.
What is the opportunity?
The role of Business Development Director (Public Sector), reporting to the Head of New Business is responsible for pipeline growth, new client acquisition and the establishment of long-term revenue growth within the UK Public Sector domain. This is a critical commercial role with ownership of the end-to-end sales process to attract and on-board new strategic clients, and for driving plans on how to undertake demand generation within this domain.
What will you be doing?
- Generate and develop business relationships and sales pipeline with new Public Sector clients with a focus on maximising long term revenue and profitability.
- Qualify and shape inbound leads into large and differentiated enterprise sales opportunities.
- Resource and lead multi-disciplinary bid teams, effectively interact with all other relevant internal departments including Service Lines, Finance, Legal, Staffing and Professional Services teams.
- Proactively target enterprise clients in key sectors with compelling tailored propositions.
- A close partnership with UK Management teams, to foster energy and support for developing projects and new market propositions alike
- You will build investment strategies to strengthen and progress our domain focus through a multi year evolutionary approach.
Whilst this is a fully commercial role, Thoughtworks are a “technology at core” organisation. We have found that sales leaders who possess a good understanding of the key aspects of agile, as well as the latest digital capabilities can often navigate our organisation ethos more adeptly than traditional Commercial Managers or Sales Directors.
With this in mind Thoughtworks are seeking a broad range of key skill sets to match the very interesting proposition we are working towards.
- You have a track record of originating and winning large complex solution opportunities within public services clients of £10m+ and the experience of delivering in excess of £30m worth of new business per annum.
- You have excelled at executive level customer relationship management, and can thrive via a reciprocal and non-hierarchical work style. You are comfortable finding your way in an ambiguous environment, you thrive on autonomy and are willing to be held accountable for your actions and results.
- You have considerable experience defining and executing new business growth strategies and of building new business pipelines for technology solutions at executive level.
- You will have led and developed high caliber teams looking to thrive in frenetic fast-growing conditions and have the ability to bring order, structure, and direction.
- You exemplify high EQ and IQ in order to work with empathy in an organisation with a very creative culture of talented people.
- You are an exceptional communicator, who can influence at board level, while being flexible and adaptable enough to collaborate with internal teams on complex delivery solutions.
- You can bring in a broad network of financial services industry contacts to improve and strengthen Thoughtworks’ presence in the market.
- You should be technically astute in the latest technology trends and practices.
- You are well versed in agile and lean practices and programmes, and should be able to demonstrate understanding of how these projects are executed.
Thoughtworks is a global technology consultancy that integrates strategy, design and engineering to drive digital innovation. For 28+ years, our clients have trusted our autonomous teams to build solutions that look past the obvious. Here, computer science grads come together with seasoned technologists, self-taught developers, midlife career changers and more to learn from and challenge each other. Career journeys flourish with the strength of our cultivation culture, which has won numerous awards around the world.
Thoughtworks crafts solutions that cover the entire lifecycle of large-scale problems for our clients from ideation through implementation, in complex technical environments. We offer consulting, development and advisory services to help our clients define their strategy, solution architecture and deliver outcomes that provide tangible business benefits.
There is no one-size-fits-all career path at Thoughtworks: however you want to develop your career is entirely up to you. But we also balance autonomy with the strength of our cultivation culture. This means your career is supported by interactive tools, numerous development programs and teammates who want to help you grow. We see value in helping each other be our best and that extends to empowering our employees in their career journeys.
We proudly, passionately and actively strive to make both Thoughtworks and our industry more representative of the communities we serve. We promote diversity in all its forms and reject discrimination and inequality. Our diversity and award winning culture inspires our thought leaders and serves to nurture and develop amazing ideas. We believe this makes us a world leading destination of choice for all technologists.
City: Any location but travel expected to Thoughtworks offices in London, Manchester & Newcastle as well as any client location in UK & Ireland.