Scientific Support Specialist
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Job Type: Full time
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
Looking to continue using your life sciences knowledge and experience away from the bench? Are you the go-to person in your lab when experiments go awry? Do you get your colleagues back on track with excellent troubleshooting advice? Want to gain business skills in a fast-paced biotech environment? If so, this is your next career move!
As part of our Scientific Support Team, this role is responsible for providing daily technical support to our customers via email and phone. This also involves liaising with production labs about the products, updating product datasheets and reviewing customer data. In addition, there is also departmental and inter-departmental projects, sharing your expertise with your team and the rest of the organization. As this role interacts directly with our customers you are required to use first class communication skills as well as expert scientific knowledge. The Scientific Support Specialist reports to Scientific Support Manager.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Troubleshoot problems with antibody-based applications (western blot, IHC, ELISA, IP, FC, ChIP, etc.) and other protein detection related products and tools (biochemicals, assay kits, Multiplex miRNA & Immunoassays)
- Independently resolve complaints by providing optimal solutions to customers, balanced with commercial needs
- Provide an excellent level of technical support to researchers via phone and email
- Liaise with product suppliers to obtain product information and follow up on product quality control
- Curate and publish product reviews submitted by customers
- Responsible for sending and handling product advisory notices
- Represent Abcam at vendor shows and conferences or Abcam home grown events by giving booth tech talks or live webinars
You’re an experienced bench scientist with a strong foundation working with antibodies (Western Blots, IHC, etc). You have a passion for helping others and you possess outstanding communication skills. You’re looking for a role where you can continue to use your scientific expertise but move into more of a customer-facing role!
- M.Sc.in a life sciences field
- 2 years' additional laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications. Experience must include western blotting or immunohistochemistry.
- Preferred (although not essential) PhD in life sciences field with laboratory research experience using antibodies and related reagents in antibody-based applications
- Laboratory experience in multiple major antibody-based applications such as IHC and WB
- Background in chemistry with experience using and troubleshooting assay kits and/or the application of biochemicals in life sciences research
- Customer service and/or call center experience
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Enjoys and excels at troubleshooting and problem solving
If this sounds like you and you’d like to be a part of a fast-paced, growing business with the vision to become the most influential company and best-loved brand in life sciences, please apply now!
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximising productivity and innovation at work whilst reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased holiday allowance over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.
Effective January 1, 2022, all U.S.-based employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment at Abcam. Employees with a sincerely held religious belief and/or disability impacting their ability to obtain the COVID vaccine can request a reasonable accommodation.