Associate Scientist - Cell Sciences (NPD)
Location: Branford, Connecticut
Job Type: Full time
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated Associate Scientist to join the Cell Sciences Team within Validation and Technical Quality (VTQ).
Working closely with the Characterisation team the Cell Sciences team is responsible for generating cellular material for validation of Abcam’s antibody products. This is a permanent position based in Branford, CT. This is a lab-based role, and your daily activities will contribute directly to Abcam’s goals and values.
Roles and responsibilities
- Perform mammalian cell culture of adherent and suspension cell lines, conducting compound treatments where required to upregulate biomarkers, to generate cellular material for antibody validation
- Develop and optimise new cell models and compound treatments for an improved antibody validation process
- Co-ordinate the production of validation materials for supply to internal stakeholders
- Work autonomously to record, interpret, and deliver data to appropriate deadlines
- Support the existing Cell Science team with workflow and data interpretation requirements
- Aide in the streamlining of processes across the Abcam sites, with a particular focus on the introduction of automation and engineering
- Contribute to projects and initiatives as required within the Validation and Technical Quality group and effectively communicate with various stakeholders on the projects
- Help establish and maintain high-quality standards during experimental processes and record keeping
- Communicate effectively on project progression and completion, both internally (Abcam’s VTQ team) and to external stakeholders
- Abide by laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and keep accurate Batch Manufacturing Records (BMRs)
- Help maintain a safe and efficient working environment in the laboratory, ensuring the safety of colleagues and in compliance with Health and Safety (H&S) policies
- Coach, mentor and develop staff by exemplar
You will have a PhD in Life Sciences, or a BSc/MSc in Life Sciences with at least 5 years of laboratory experience. You will be experienced in culturing mammalian cells with a firm understanding of cell biology principles, literature and methods. Practical experience in culturing more complex cell types (primary cells, stem cells) is desirable. Ideally you will have experience of working with cell lines in an industrial setting with a good understanding of the typical workloads, challenges and bottlenecks that may be encountered. Experience of working under ISO9001 would be advantageous.
With excellent attention to detail, you will have good organisational skills with the ability to prioritise work across several projects, and to deadlines. You will be an enthusiastic team player; self-motivated, independent and able to facilitate open and constructive communication within the Cell Sciences team and other teams within the company.
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximising productivity and innovation at work whilst reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased holiday allowance over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.