Legal Counsel (US)
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts
Job Type: Full time
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
We are seeking to appoint an an enthusiastic and motivated lawyer as Legal Counsel or Senior Legal Counsel (depending on experience), to join our agile and highly regarded legal team, reporting to the General Counsel and Company Secretary.
Your role will be to provide broad legal support working with cross functional teams, other members of the legal team and key stakeholders to support the development and implementation of Abcam’s strategic goals. You will be expected to provide legal support in a wide variety of areas including:
- Corporate governance and reporting including advising on Nasdaq and SEC requirements and helping prepare Abcam's regulatory filings and annual report, compliance;
- Mergers and acquisitions and other project support;
- Corporate structuring and filings for Abcam's subsidiaries;
- Day-to-day legal advice for Abcam's US business including employment, real estate matters and other issues affecting a global business with a significant US presence.
You will be motivated to be part of a small and high-performing team looking to build a fantastic legal function by offering true solutions led support.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a bright and ambitious lawyer to gain broader experience with great opportunities for future development to help further grow Abcam's legal offering.
- Qualified lawyer / attorney with five to ten years’ practising experience gained either from a top-tier law firm or a relevant in-house team with a track record of advising on corporate matters.
- Have a high intellectual ability combined with strong, varied corporate and company law background.
- Have previous in-house experience gained either dorectly or on secondment.
- Be highly self-aware, empathetic and have strong relationship building skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to influence global cross functional teams and work with other departments and stakeholders.
- Possess a high degree of work ethic, integrity, and commitment.
- Be analytical, results-oriented, committed, and agile.
- Have the ability to manage and prioritize multiple assignments, sometimes under tight deadlines.
- Have a strong sense of purpose and commitment to the mission of Abcam.
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximizing productivity and innovation at work while reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible benefits package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased paid time off accrual over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.
Effective January 1, 2022, all U.S.-based employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment at Abcam. Employees with a sincerely held religious belief and/or disability impacting their ability to obtain the COVID vaccine can request a reasonable accommodation.