Head of Assay Operations
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Job Type: Full time
From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
The Head of Assay Operations is a key R&D leadership role which will enable assay menu and platform expansion by enhancing operational efficiency and delivering quality and design control objectives across Abcam’s immunoassay and cell/biochemical assay, and platform innovation teams. The role reports to the VP, Assay Development Platforms and the successful candidate will develop, manage, and lead an assay operations team comprising functions enabling and enhancing operational execution for assay R&D, including but not limited to portfolio and pipeline management, digital interface management, first lot to stock production, and materials management.
Job duties and responsibilities:
- Establish and develop an assay operations organization with strong focus on efficiency, quality, and project delivery, identifying and implementing improvements and efficiencies within our development process and technical operations
- Manage a diverse team of direct reports, including ownership of skills suitability, productivity, training, development, performance review, and operational status updates
- Encourage and help drive a culture of continuous improvement and operational excellence within R&D
- Work with R&D leaders to develop, implement and monitor performance tracking metrics for R&D in line with business needs
- Ensure timely execution of R&D laboratory and operational objectives to the required quality expectations: including project scheduling and delivery, Target Product Profile compliance, materials management and staging, batch documentation, procurement, equipment maintenance, data management, processing, and reporting
- Collaborate with manufacturing operations, product management, program management, QA, and local and remote R&D teams to meet shared objectives and to support and improve data and knowledge transfer in and out of R&D
- Develop and recommend new laboratory policies, guidelines, and best practices
- Provide or coordinate regular training for R&D staff on laboratory and data management best practices, quality compliance, risk avoidance, supply chain and resource management, and other topics as appropriate
- Support the Abcam Quality Plan and participate in establishing and supporting quality objectives - Review lab operations, processes, and practices in the context of ISO9001 and risk assessment and mitigation, operational efficiency, and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated ability to value relationships, work collaboratively and influence effectively within a wide constituency of cross-functional stakeholders
- Advanced degree in biology/biochemistry/related field or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years’ experience leading development or manufacturing of immunoassays and/or biochemical assays
- 5+ years’ experience in effectively managing people and projects and reporting on progress towards goals
- Exceptional organizational and record keeping abilities
- Effective and concise verbal and written communication
- Experience with creating, and managing metrics for performance and continuous improvement
- Experience with implementation and oversight of reporting metrics, statistical methods, LIMS, and electronic lab notebooks
- High degree of data literacy, for example development of databases, data reporting tools, and statistical analysis of data
- Experience working within ISO9001 and/or ISO13485 is desirable
- Ability to effectively communicate and implement organizational requirements, policies, and procedures
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximizing productivity and innovation at work while reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible benefits package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased paid time off accrual over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.
Effective January 1, 2022, all U.S.-based employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID as a condition of employment at Abcam. Employees with a sincerely held religious belief and/or disability impacting their ability to obtain the COVID vaccine can request a reasonable accommodation.