AVP, Business Manager
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
About Our Company
Aflac Global Investments located in downtown financial district located at 100 Wall Street, corner of Water Street and is the organization who’s responsible for the overall investment activities of Aflac, Inc. With more than 125 employees in US (New York) and Japan (Tokyo); Aflac’s Global Investments organization seeks to maximize risk-adjusted returns subject to our liability profile and capital requirements and generates in excess of $3.0 billion a year in net investment income. Aflac Global Investments is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aflac, Inc.
Within Aflac’s Global Investment Division, under the leadership of the U.S. Chief Operating Officer organization (US COO), the Business Manager will lead a centralized and coordinated governance of controls processes and lead project management of critical initiatives and implementation for the Aflac Global Investments. The position expects an understanding of operational controls and processes with respect to Governance, Key Operating Procedures and Controls across middle and back office functions, Access Controls and Information Management, Vendor and Service Providers Oversight, Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery Plan and other critical and transformational initiatives across the Aflac Global Investments platform.
The Business Manager will be expected to engage with all staff levels including communicating with sr. leadership, business partners, colleagues and process owners in Columbus, GA (Corporate) and Tokyo, Japan and take a lead on variety of operational process oversight initiatives, process improvements and strategic related projects .
Reports to: Sr. Business Manager within the U.S. Chief Operating Officer organization
Primary Support: Aflac Global Investments Platform – U.S.
Other Relationships: Columbus, GA and Aflac Global Investments Japan colleagues, and other key stakeholders across Accounting, Data Management, Information Technology, Operations, Compliance, front office and central corporate teams covering company-wide functions such as vendor management and information security.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish strong collaboration and build partnerships with the relevant stakeholders across organization
- Be able to effectively engage and influence outcomes across all levels of stakeholders to drive accountability and process improvements
- Employ risk based mindset and understand organizational control processes and procedures, risks, implications and priorities
- Exhibit strong communication skills and ability to clearly articulate objectives, issues and potential downstream impacts
- Take ownership and have a proven ability to actively project manage variety of initiatives including planning, risk and issue identification, and project status/issues reporting.
- Be a trusted adviser to the business by focusing on providing solutions and ensure timely project completion while applying team focused approach to the problem solving
- Demonstrate a continuous improvement mindset and apply process improvement methodologies
- Be a self-starter, work effectively individually and with multi-functional teams, ensure attention to details and possess strong analytical and excellent organizational skills in order to meet tight deadlines while working on multiple projects
- Be part of an international team, working across different COO functional areas including but not limited to:
- Project Management and/or Business Analyst
- Implement appropriate project management techniques and actively project manage a variety of corporate and operational cross-functional initiatives to meet business goals
- Demonstrate PMO experience that aligns with best practices including establishing project plans and milestones, reporting on projects progress, managing deadlines and facilitating problem solutions with stakeholders to ensure desired outcome
- Exhibit strong organizational, time management and communication skills to ensure accountability and engagement
- Be able to effectively navigate matrixed organization
- Employ strategic vision and thinking while able to focus on details when appropriate
- Business Controls and Governance
- Key Operating Procedures management to ensure that GI has appropriate documentation and governance in place;
- Provide controls environment monitoring support including coordination with internal and external stakeholders on relevant work streams (SOX, Internal Audit, ESG/NetZero, regulators, external auditors, etc.);
- Oversee ongoing controls change management;
- Work closely with all GI stakeholders globally to ensure business and operational risk issues and remediation actions are effectively addressed to manage GI business and operational risks
- Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery
- Plan reviews and updates; coordination with GI teams and headquarter periodic testing plan;
- Manage Business Impact Analysis reviews and documentation with all business groups and across all processes
- Working knowledge of Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery plans, planning and testing
- Information Governance and Records Management
- Project Management and/or Business Analyst
- Serve as the GI Information Steward and be responsible for connecting and communicating with corporate governance team and GI stake holders to ensure that information and record retention policies and procedures are met including relevant documentation
- Access Reviews
- Ensure that appropriate approval /removal access process and periodic access attestation process is established;
- Perform periodic reviews of application and file access to ensure all access employees and contractors have the appropriate access within the GI and Corporate network.
- Service Provider and Vendor Business Due Diligence
- GI vendor due diligence coordination and reviews, SOC1 reviews and documentation, exit plan documentation, reputational risk monitoring;
- Collaborate with Corporate Procurement (3PM) vendor management and across GI to ensure corporate policy compliance is met.
- Access Reviews
Candidate and Qualifications
- Schedule: This is a hybrid role and requires a minimum of 3 days in the office each week with 2 working from home
- Minimum of 7 years of direct related experience working in the office of the Chief Operating Officer, experience with the SEC registered asset management is preferred
- Previous experience as a project manager / business analyst and/or as a team member within Operations, IT, Data Management or Operational Risk groups
- Previous experience as the lead / project manager across multi-functional projects or system implementations
- Experience with and knowledge of asset classes such as fixed income, bank loans, middle market loans, CLOs, private equity and real estate debt and associated operational processes and controls to support these asset classes is plus
- Microsoft Office Suite including excellent PowerPoint and Excel skills
- Public accounting, internal audit or IT audit experience is a plus
- Familiarity with project management methodologies, PMI or similar certifications is a plus
- Bachelor’s degree Required, MBA welcomed, CPA, CIA, CFA designation is a plus
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act. Applicants with criminal histories are encouraged to apply.