VP, Data Governance and Management
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
About Our Company
Aflac Global Investments located in downtown financial district located at 100 Wall Street, corner of Water Street and is the organization who’s responsible for the overall investment activities of Aflac, Inc. With more than 125 employees in US (New York) and Japan (Tokyo); Aflac’s Global Investments organization seeks to maximize risk-adjusted returns subject to our liability profile and capital requirements and generates in excess of $3.0 billion a year in net investment income. Aflac Global Investments is a wholly owned subsidiary of Aflac, Inc.
Within Aflac Global Investments (GI), a wholly owned subsidiary of Aflac, Inc., the Vice President, Data Governance and Data Management Manager is a member of the Chief Operating Officer Team. As a member, the individual will work closely with the entire GI team to develop a Global Investments Data Governance structure and the management of the investments data. The individual should possess strong workflow and system processes to increase the efficiency and accuracy of data used by GI investments team. In addition, having a working knowledge of investments (internally and externally) and the systematic data collection from multiple sources. Knowledge of data governance and best practices. The individual should have a developed understanding of organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills (verbal and written), while knowing your audience(s) and meeting multiple deliverables with highly structured timelines.
Reports to: Director, Head of Data Governance and Managment
Primary Relationship: GI data management, trade operations, information technology, GI business leaders and employees (front office); along with investment compliance, legal, investment risk, bsuiness management, finance, and all other business partners in support of GI businesses including investments capital advisory, accounting, tax, and treasury.
- Work in support of the development of Aflac GI’s global data strategy, enabling timely and trusted data delivery through a scalable operating model (data lineage, provenance, & traceability) and capable teams
- Execute and advance GI’s global data strategy, providing strong leadership on all aspects of data lifecycle management (data demand, data mastering, data governance, data architecture and data provisioning)
- Develop and advance data governance structures, clear accountabilities and guiding policies (key data elements, key data processes, key data outputs)
- Ensure data governance framework across GI data categories as required by Corporate and regulatory needs, but further expanding the discipline across all data assets of the GI franchise
- Partner with business functions to assists in understanding client, product and business requirements and articulating needs through the data life cycle
- Create and/or support the curation of data that provide meaningful insights into investment management, products and operational performance
- Collaborate with external providers (technology, data, services) in developing a robust and agile data architecture, platform and tooling capability (consistency, integrity, and agility of data delivery)
- Interface, where appropriate, with GI Business Partners, including Investment Compliance in ensuring timely compliance with regulatory efforts
- Perform regular operational reviews/audits of data quality/integrity issues and ensure timely reporting, escalations, and resolutions in line with data quality framework (to be developed)
- Ensure the selection and monitoring of competent and secure data services & solutions providers
- Ad-hoc projects
- Minimum 12 years of experience in data governance, data management role, with a robust understanding of technology and dataflow/work streams specifically in Insurance Asset Manager.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field; MBA or MS in similar degree field a plus.
- Global experience is key – this includes experience with global investments, global teams, and global data governance and data management. Experience with Japanese culture would be valuable.
- Knowledge of investment products, markets, and concepts
- Knowledge of building out infrastructure that supports financial and data governance concepts, practices and procedures while meeting regulatory requirements.
- Strong quantitative, analytical skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Advanced MS Excel skills required, including logical and reference formulas, financial functions, correlation through pivots and logic, best practice structure/design, assumption toggling, and formatting for executive presentations.
- Ability to see the large picture yet master the myriad of details required for successful analysis. A solid foundation in the practical application of financial data in a structured governance model, existing and new portfolio assets, business planning, and analysis; demonstrated competence in the use of software tools for data usage; extraction, manipulation, analysis, and presentations
- Demonstrated creativity in problem solving skills to enable sound decision making
- Excellent verbal and written communication and relationship building skills
- Ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with a variety of internal stakeholders
- Proven ability to think strategically and have a demonstrated focus on action and results
- Ability to influence the organization to implement new policies, procedures and programs
- Ability and flexibility to manage multiple, changing priorities and work under tight deadlines in a fast paced environment. Be able to work quickly when financial events provide opportunities for Aflac Global Investments portfolio.
- Knowledge of SAP software suite
- Ability to interface with all levels of management
- Ability to self-manage workloads and work to deadlines
- Proactive approach to issue resolution
- Able to take initiative and multi-task, while demonstrating a committed team player.
- Ability to work effectively with other individuals and departments
- Ability to facilitate compromise between conflicting requirements or points of view
- Working knowledge of Aladdin or similar trading systems and knowledge of Data Warehouses and the use for front to backend reporting and analytics
- Advanced Excel skills - including full suite of MS Office products
- Advanced Power Point and other presentation software
- Programming skills ( e.g. Python, VBA) a plus
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act. Applicants with criminal histories are encouraged to apply.