Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Job Type: Full time
Under limited direction, manages product lines for a portfolio of products through the entire product life cycle.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs the process from new product and revisions to existing products, including product research and design, headquarters support issues and design; responsible for overall implementation of product development and communicates plan to management responsible for marketing strategies to ensure the product maintains its marketability and profitability
- Participates in the development of sales strategies to support and stimulate sales among the field force and alternative distribution channels; manages product line design, market competitiveness, and potential new market segments; reports to department head on product performance; initiates research on identified trends and reports results and suggestions to management; monitors field force attitudes and needs about Aflac products
- Assists in driving key business decisions and strategies by using market and business intelligence data; recommends new ideas for growth, understanding competitive actions and market trends; works with assigned lines of business to translate research results into clear business strategies; aligns existing strategic/business plans and go forward with strategic position to identify gaps and/or areas of opportunity
- Assists in the development of product metrics to track sales performance and patterns, adherence to design assumptions, market or niche penetration and other pertinent performance data; understand the distribution, sale and promotion of the products, and understand gathering intelligence on product performance and taking action to enhance or discontinue product benefits or lines of business; leverages the skills within the Insights department to gather and report critical data.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of the assigned product designs and sales initiatives to support and increase product sales among the field force and alternative distribution channels; serves as a consultant for assigned product line by monitoring implementation performance and processes, adherence to design assumptions, and other pertinent performance data; may lead an ad hoc team(s) on specific product initiatives; evaluates market innovation and technology advancements; makes recommendations for technology and process improvements related to product administration and implementation; analyzes data and information to determine Aflac's strategy to remain competitive.
- Responsible for GOC presentations and reviews; Supports the Business Rules, Product Launch and Exception request committee
- Ensures all business requirements are accurately captured including state variations and SCR's; acts as product/technical subject matter expert; Perform JAD session for product and manage completed product launch plan execution; assists in developing product concepts and ideas testing, insights, qualitative and quantitative analysis; develop and review administrative guidelines; schedule product introductions and answer product questions; participate on exception request committee as technical liaison.
- Acts as product/technical subject matter expert; Perform JAD session for product and manage completed product launch plan execution assist in developing product concepts and ideas testing, insights, qualitative and quantitative analysis; develop and review administrative guidelines; schedule product introductions and answer product questions; participate on exception request committee as technical liaison
- Mentors and guides Associate Product Manager as needed with building relationships, interfacing with key technical Project Managers and product development business partners; monitoring and managing the progress and evaluations of the product life cycle, preparing forms and requirements.
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree Business Administration, Marketing or a related field
- At least three plus years’ experience as an Associate Product Manager with a strong technical grasp of product development
- Proven ability to perform primary role of Associate Product Developer for one development; Demonstrated ability to analyze and report on product trends; completed cross training with the following departments: IT, NAS NBS, Claims, UW, Compliance, Actuarial, Training, Product Marketing, and Administration
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job Knowledge & Skills
- Strong aptitude for conceptualizing, communicating and selling new concepts while also being able to take an analytic approach to problem solving and strategic development
- Demonstrated relationship skills and proven success effectively leading product management processes
- Ability to creatively convert customer and competitor feedback (qualitative and quantitative) into new product that effectively entice and persuade customers to purchase our products.
- Ability to work well in a dynamic group environment and under deadline pressures
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
The statements below describe the general nature and level of the work and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required.
Normal office to outdoor environment