AVP, Investment Compliance
Location: New York, New York
Job Type: Full time
About Our Company
Aflac Global Investments located in the heart of the financial district is the organization who’s responsible for the overall investment activities of Aflac, Inc. With more than 100 employees in US (New York) and Japan (Tokyo); Aflac’s Global Investments organization seeks to maximize risk-adjusted returns subject to our liability profile and capital requirements and generates in excess of $3.0 billion a year in net investment income.
Within Aflac’s Investment’s group, the Investment Compliance Associate is a member of the New York Aflac Global Investment Legal and Regulatory group. The position requires experience in the business and compliance concepts, along with the ability to reason, recommend, and gain compromises that enhance the value of Global Investments Compliance function. Oversight of the daily monitoring of automated dash board, surveillance, regulations, and data management responsibilities while ensuring adherence to the Investment Compliance guidelines, policies, and procedures. In addition to the daily responsibilities described below; the candidate will also work on Compliance related projects and help to support communications with colleagues in Columbus, GA (Corporate) and Japan Compliance teams.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Working knowledge of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Securities Act of 1933 and Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and their respective regulations and the ability to analyze and identify the application of existing and proposed regulations to registered investment advisers is a must.
- Work to limit regulatory and reputational risk of Aflac and help to reinforce Aflac Global Investment’s culture of compliance.
- Conduct daily review and monitoring of pre-trade and batch portfolio compliance with respect to regulatory and internal rules and restrictions across all portfolios managed by Aflac Global Investments.
- Oversee maintenance and administration of the automated compliance system, including assignment of system access and appropriate updates and configuration of tolerances and limits.
- Monitor and recommend appropriate controls to cover non-programmable guideline restrictions on a timely basis
- Monitor developments and maintain familiarity with SEC, Nebraska and New York Insurance Law, NAIC, Japan FSA, and US CFTC developments.
- Provide research on investment compliance related issues.
- Provide guidance on permissible investment and transaction-related activities.
- Review, interpret and summarize investment guidelines for new mandates.
- Develop and provide training and guidance on internal governance, supervisory controls and policies, and recent developments.
- Prepare management reporting.
- Work closely with Aflac US and Japan Operations, Risk and Legal teams to develop and support control functions and exception reporting.
- Ensure that identified errors, improper conduct, compliance exceptions to regulatory or policy requirements receive appropriate corrective action.
- Perform and assist in the documentation of compliance forensic testing of adherence to firm policies and procedures and the 206(4)-(7) review.
- Interface with other Aflac Compliance functions and Investment Risk as appropriate on matters relating to the firm’s investment activities
- Participate in matters concerning Japan FSA or Nebraska Department of Insurance issues as they relate to the Investment Division and the SEC
- 7+ years of experience in Insurance Industry or Asset Management Investments Compliance (Fixed Income a plus)
- BA required
- Good working knowledge/understanding of Portfolio Management / Investment Operations workflows and processes
- Good working knowledge/understanding of US and Japan Insurance Industry Regulations as they pertain to investment management
- Understanding of US, Japan and state securities and derivatives regulations as they pertain to Insurance Industry Investment activity
- Excellent analytical and research skills; ability to solve problems
- Ability to interface with all levels of management
- Ability to work effectively with other individuals and departments
- Self-motivated individual with the willingness to learn and take on additional responsibilities over time
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Excellent written and oral skills;
- Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook)
- Experience with any pre-trade compliance or portfolio management system (such as Bloomberg, Charles River, Blackrock Aladdin (preferred), etc.)
Please note: Aflac Global Investments' hybrid working environment requires a minimum of 3 days in the office
The range on this positions is: $68,000 to $175,000
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies, 401(k) plans, and generous paid time off. You’ll also be granted time off for designated paid holidays and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick, adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with a criminal history, in a manner consistent with the requirements of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, including the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and the New York City Fair Chance Act. Applicants with criminal histories are encouraged to apply.