Sr Group Dental Underwriter
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Salary Range: $55,000 - $140,000
We’ve Got You Under Our Wing
We are the duck. We develop and empower our people, cultivate relationships, give back to our community, and celebrate every success along the way. We do it all…The Aflac Way.
Aflac, a Fortune 500 company, is an industry leader in voluntary insurance products that pay cash directly to policyholders and one of America's best-known brands. Aflac has been recognized as Fortune’s 50 Best Workplaces for Diversity and as one of World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere.com.
Our business is about being there for people in need. So, ask yourself, are you the duck? If so, there’s a home, and a flourishing career for you at Aflac.
What does it take to be successful at Aflac?
- Acting with Integrity
- Communicating Effectively
- Pursuing Self-Development
- Serving Customers
- Supporting Change
- Supporting Organizational Goals
- Working with Diverse Populations
What will you be doing in this role?
- Proficient group health underwriting knowledge
- Proficient in broker and industry practices as pertains to product, enrollment techniques, and service needs of broker and client
- Understanding of Aflac/Aflac Group’s products and services, affiliated systems and applicable operational policies and procedures
- Knowledgeable in processes related to acquisition, implementation, service and billing of accounts
- Strong math skills
- Proficiency and experience using Microsoft Office suite software
Education & Experience Required
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field
- 5-6 years of professional job-related experience in the group benefits industry
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Education & Experience Preferred
- Completion of CLU, LOMA, HIAA or other insurance related courses
- Background in Dental and/or Vision Underwriting is strongly preferred
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
- Responds to a variety of complex and highly customized Requests for Proposal (RFP) involving Aflac Group Dental and Vision products and services; using established underwriting criteria and rating methodologies, analyzes risk and financial data to underwrite new business opportunities; coordinates the overall process of development, review, production and delivery of the proposal
- Communicates with brokers or clients to discuss and/or obtain case details pertinent to the decision making process; considers the impact of underwriting decisions on profitability of the account, product line, and company; follows all applicable group regulations and works in support of Aflac Group’s business goals
- Initiates follow-up and adherence to established timelines; works closely with the sales team to ensure deliverables are met; develops strong working relationships with sales partners to obtain case details and understand unique needs of the assigned groups; collaborates with sales team and other internal departments to negotiate rates, benefit plan options, and other issues to optimize retention, growth and profit; is instrumental in managing and attaining market specific financial goals; participates in data analysis, product line reviews, and reporting projects
- Maintains knowledge of current and emerging trends, assesses impact, and collaborates to incorporate into future solutions; ensures adherence to state, federal, and industry laws, regulations, guidelines, and publications
- Performs final proofing and editing to convey complex technical thoughts in a clear, concise way that is personalized to the audience, speaks with a single and consistent voice, are effectively structured, and formatted for ease of reading and visual appeal; validates contractual and documentation packages for quality, accuracy, persuasiveness, and compliance with company practices; increases percentage of bids won and tracks results of all bid/proposal initiatives
- Provides guidance/advice/mentorship to junior Group Underwriters and sales staff; assists in handling escalated issues that they may encounter on a day-to-day basis; serves as a resource to internal/external stakeholders on more complex assignments; educate internal/external customers on pricing decisions and underwriting guidelines and to explain underwriting products, policies, procedures, and the reasoning behind pricing decisions, coverage decisions, and risk rejections
- Takes part in finalist/broker presentations when necessary; some travel required, generally less than 10%
- Performs related duties as required
This compensation range is specific to the job level and takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including, but not limited to: education, experience, licensure, certifications, geographic location, and internal equity. The range has been created in good faith based on information known to Aflac at the time of the posting. Compensation decisions are dependent on the circumstances of each case. This salary range does not include any potential incentive pay or benefits, however, such information will be provided separately when appropriate. The salary range for this position is $55,00 to $140,000.
In addition to the base salary, we offer an array of benefits to meet your needs including medical, dental, and vision coverage, prescription drug coverage, health care flexible spending, dependent care flexible spending, Aflac supplemental policies (Accident, Cancer, Critical Illness and Hospital Indemnity offered at no costs to employee), 401(k) plans, annual bonuses, and an opportunity to purchase company stock. On an annual basis, you’ll also be offered 11 paid holidays, up to 20 days PTO to be used for any reason, and, if eligible, state mandated sick leave (Washington employees accrue 1 hour sick leave for every 40 hours worked) and other leaves of absence, if eligible, when needed to support your physical, financial, and emotional well-being. Aflac complies with all applicable leave laws, including, but not limited to sick and safe leave, and adoption and parental leave, in all states and localities.