Principal Backend Software Engineer, Event Platform
Location: Mountain View, California
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or from an office (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
To help our teams work together effectively, this role requires you to be able to work a schedule that is centered around the Pacific Timezone (PST).
The Event Platform team is an important part of Atlassian's success. We are the 4th most used service at Atlassian and we're on the mission to address all streaming (pub-sub) needs at Atlassian.
We are a team that is passionate about technology but also knows when to take a break from work! Team lunches and social events together are a regular thing among the team versus a once in awhile activity. We embody the Atlassian values: growing and adapting to new technical challenges that might come up, asking hard questions when things don't go well and learning from our mistakes, and challenging each other to constantly improve our work.
What You'll Do:
- Build services from the ground up - from gathering requirements to operations
- Design reliable low latency platform services
- Work on projects that impact multiple teams and require working with departments outside of engineering
- Set engineering standards
- Mentor and lead other engineers
- Become known as a subject matter expert across the company concerning Event Platform
- Be involved with daily tasks (EG coding) as much as those that span multi-quarter or multi-year
- Lead operational and on-call fires when they occur
- 10 or more years of experience building backend systems
- Bachelor's degree with a preference for Computer Science degree
- Built scalable and performant RESTful micro-services on-top of a public cloud (AWS is ideal)
- Knowledge of continuous delivery and infrastructure as code
- Experience in operations and being on-call
- Familiar with agile software development methodologies (e.g., XP, scrum)
- Participated in company wide or industry events as a speaker
- Worked with partners in non-engineering functions to lead customer success
- Defined OKRs in connection to company plans
- Planned and estimated scope for multi-quarter technical projects
- Established architectural designs that impact and span multiple systems
At Atlassian, we tie our base pay ranges to role and level. In the United States, that means your base pay ranges will fall into one of three geographic pay zones depending on your location. Our current base pay ranges for new hires in each zone are:
Zone A: $187,500 - $287,500
Zone B: $168,700 - $258,800
Zone C: $155,600 - $238,700
Within each range, base pay is ultimately determined based on your skills, expertise, and experience. This role may also be eligible for benefits, bonuses, commissions, and/or equity.
Please see here for more information on which locations are included in each of our geographic pay zones. However, please confirm the zone for your specific location with your recruiter.
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!