Senior Accessibility Software Engineer
Location: Mountain View, California
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Your future team
Atlassian's mission to help unleash the potential of every team. To support this, the Accessibility Team owns our strategy and programs to make every Atlassian experience accessible for people living with disability.
We are the Core Accessibility Team with expertise in research, design, engineering, program management, assistive technologies, and more. We work across the company to help teams build accessibility expertise, understand user needs and create great experiences that are inclusive and easier for everyone to use.
In this role as Senior Accessibility Software Engineer, you will report to the Head of Accessibility. You are a technical program manager or developer with experience coding for web Accessibility, automation and DevOps. You will lead our accessibility tooling strategy, build or extend existing tools, and work with engineering teams to integrate Accessibility in to their toolchain and engineering practices.
What you'll do
- Develop tooling to improve the velocity and consistency of Accessibility development work
- Evaluate the latest technologies and explore solutions to overcome current limitations in Accessibility automation
- Collaborate with teams across the company to integrate Accessibility into their engineering systems
- Author implementation guidance or deliver talks to share your expertise with other engineers
- 5+ years of development experience with web-based applications and architecture
- Deep expertise with WCAG 2.x Standards, ARIA, Section 508 Compliance, and Web Accessibility with React
- Experience with assistive technologies (e.g., screen reader, screen magnifier) on desktop, mobile and web
- Knowledge of accessible software development, testing, CI/CD, DevOps, maintenance, and support
- Experience with automated accessibility tooling and integration with CI/CD infrastructure
- Experience with rapid prototyping and proof of concept builds
- Experience with data pipelines and dashboards
Great but not required
- Experience writing technical documentation and guidelines for other developers
- Experience providing technical solutions for large-scale accessibility initiatives
- Expertise in machine learning or other techniques to improve detection of common errors
- Professional certification (e.g., IAAP CPACC or WAS)
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!