Senior Backend Software Engineer, Identity Platform
Location: Mountain View, California
Job Type: Full time
Be brave, not perfect.
- Reshma Saujani
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Identity Platform is a foundation of our cloud platform and plays a critical part in Atlassian's success. The Identity team is on a journey to supporting 1 billion user accounts to help us achieve Atlassian BHAG (big hairy audacious goal). Identity sets an example for the whole company in reliability, scalability, and operational excellence. Working in Identity, you'll get to write software that is used by all Atlassian products and impacts the everyday experience of all our users.
We're looking for a highly motivated and talented engineer with hands-on experience designing and developing cloud-native applications. You'll build highly scalable, multi-region solutions using modern best practices and technologies.
As a Senior Backend Engineer, you'll act as a technical leader within your team to help define the tactical approach and execute on the architectural vision behind our products. You will work closely with other Identity teams, architects, product managers, and designers. You will be responsible for breaking down the work, building and shipping new features and capabilities in our high scalable, cross-geo distributed system. As we use a "you build it, you run it" (YBIYRI) approach in all Cloud Platform teams, you'll demonstrate an excellence in operational maturity, and drive the team to define and deliver on reliability, scalability, and latency goals.
What you can look forward to:
- Building and shipping features and capabilities daily in highly scalable, cross-geo distributed environment
- An amazing open and collaborative work environment with other talented engineers, architects, product managers, and designers
- Reviewing code with best practices of readability, testing patterns, documentation, reliability, security, and performance considerations in mind
- Mentoring and leveling up the skills of your teammates by sharing your expertise in formal and informal knowledge sharing sessions
- Ensuring full visibility, error reporting, and monitoring of high performing backend services
- Participating in agile software development including daily stand-ups, sprint planning, team retrospectives, show and tell demo sessions
On your first day, we'll expect you to have:
- Good understanding of Java and Spring Framework
- Proven understanding of micro-services oriented architecture and extensible REST APIs
- Understanding of SaaS, PaaS, IaaS industry with hands on experience with public or private cloud offerings (e.g., AWS, GAE, Azure)
- Fluency in any one database technology (e.g. RDBMS like Oracle or Postgres and/or NoSQL like DynamoDB or Cassandra)
- Knowledge to evaluate trade-offs between correctness, robustness, performance, space and time
- Experience in taking ownership of features, while working with a team on short and long-running projects
- Bachelor with 7+ years of experience or Master's degree with 5+ years of experience, in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems Management or a closely related field of study or equivalent work experience.
It's great, but not required if you have
- Experience with large scale distributed systems and event-driven architectures
- Experience building micro-services
- Practical knowledge of agile software development methodologies (e.g., XP, scrum)
- Experience with continuous delivery and infrastructure as code
More about the team
We are always growing, learning, and adapting, in and out of the office. You'll be joining a team that is smart and very direct. We embody the Atlassian values, ask the hard questions and challenge each other to constantly improve our work.
This highly talented team owns some of the most critical capabilities of the Atlassian Cloud platform. The engineers excel in taking on scalability challenges, understanding the security aspects of authentication flows, and operating micro-services at a very large scale. We are passionate about technology, but we also like to take breaks from work. We love going out for team lunches, and we like to spend time together in team social events on Fridays.
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favorite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned—collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!