Principal Data Engineer
Location: Mountain View, California
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Atlassian is looking for a PrincipalData Engineer to join our Customer Success and Support (CSS) Data Engineering team and build world-class data solutions and applications that power crucial decisions throughout the organization. We are looking for someone who is passionate about building data services that scale.
On your first day, we'll expect you to have
- BS/BA in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Management, or other technical fields, and 15 or more years of data engineering experience
- Experience leading ambiguous and complex data engineering projects.
- High proficiency in technical skills such as SQL, ETL, and Scripting/Programming to solve a wide array of data challenges
- Experience working with varied forms of data infrastructure, including relational databases (e.g. SQL), Spark, and column stores (e.g. Redshift)
- Experience building scalable data pipelines using Spark using Airflow scheduler/executor framework or similar scheduling tools.
- Experience working in a technical environment with the latest technologies like AWS data services (Redshift, Athena, EMR) or similar Apache projects (Spark, Flink, Hive, or Kafka).
- Understanding of Data Engineering tools/frameworks and standards to improve the productivity and quality of output for Data Engineers across the team.
- Industry experience working with large-scale, high-performance data processing systems (batch and streaming) with a "Streaming First" mindset to drive Atlassian's business growth and improve the product experience.
We'd be super excited if you have
- Built and designed Kappa or Lambda architecture data platforms and services.
- Experience implementing Master Data Management (MDM) solutions.
- Built pipelines using Databricks and is well versed with their APIs.
- Above all else, as a Principal Data Engineer, you will own large programs end to end, driving architectural decisions, and incorporating business and technology strategies. You will mentor junior members of the team and help onboard and grow the team.
Your Future Team
Data is a BIG deal at Atlassian. We ingest over 180 billion events each month into our analytics platform and we have dozens of teams across the company driving their decisions and guiding their operations based on the data and services we provide.
The data engineering team manages several data models and data pipelines across Atlassian, including finance, growth, product analysis, customer support, sales, and marketing. You'll join a team that is smart and very direct. We ask hard questions and challenge each other to constantly improve our work.
As a Principal Data Engineer, you will directly report to the Data Engineering Manager who manages CSS Data Engineering. You will apply your technical expertise to build analytical data models that support a broad range of analytical requirements across the company.
You will help optimize the data pipelines/infrastructure with the goal of providing data with quality and trust. As the data domain expert, you will partner with our technology teams, analytical teams, and data scientists across several projects.
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!