Director of Engineering / Head of Engineering, Distribution Network
Location: Mountain View, California
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
About the Team
We’re transforming Atlassian by growing a bigger economy around our company. The Atlassian Economy is a set of business & technical services to build, distribute, grow & monetise SaaS enterprise software while deeply integrating our software + data, + customers. The magic happens when we invest in the economy around our 2nd* and 3rd** party products.
The Distribution Network is key to growing an economy at scale. We aim to enable customers to discover, try and buy 2nd and 3rd-party apps via intelligent recommendations delivered across various surfaces. This allows customers to supplement base product functionality with a wide range of apps built by partners. This is a unique opportunity to build a capability ground up with and have no legacy to encounter.
About the Role
We are looking for an Engineering leader to lead the Distribution Network team. This leader will manage teams across several geographies (USA, Australia) and partner with teams in the US, Australia and India to hire the team, help define the roadmap and drive execution. If you’re interested in helping Atlassian reach 100M MAU, this is your opportunity to get in on the ground floor to build a game changing capability that will shape the future of Atlassian.
The Distribution Network team is comprised of people with backgrounds in messaging, ecosystem, e-commerce, and content management. We work across multiple products and web experiences to ensure our customers receive insightful recommendations to meet their unique needs, and we empower the Atlassian ecosystem with the ability to craft meaningful messages to promote features and apps.
It is important that you have a wealth of experience in managing teams and success in delivering highly technical multi-quarter roadmaps. You will also need to be fairly comfortable with ambiguity, experimenting on multiple and fronts for the first year. On the one hand, you will need to be scrappy. On the other, you will need to work with your team to define architectural/organisational future states that we can scale to in years 2 and 3. An ideal candidate has bought Demand Side Platforms and/or Supply Side Platforms to the market with all of the learned-lessons that come with it. You will need to have experience making big tradeoffs as we have multiple systems all with far-reaching roadmaps. If you are up for a challenge and taking a leadership role at one of the top teams at one of the top SaaS companies on Earth, do inquire.
On the first day, what we'll expect you to have:
- Knowledge of eCommerce Product and Merchandising applications, AI/ML Techniques, Ad Networks, Demand Side Platforms and/or Supply Side Platforms
- The ability to work in ambiguity; comfort with changing directions
- Strong Engineering Capability with a focus on customers; this is a product led and business led team. You have worked with Products & Product teams (not just hardware and security teams)
- 8+ years of experience in engineering management following Agile development processes and a history of shipping both consumer products and cloud services
- Experience managing managers and a proven ability to scale organisations from 0 to 100+ engineers with a culture that is laser focused on operational excellence and shipping high quality products to customers
- Ability to drive the technical and business strategy of the team
- Ability to define the long-term technical vision and strategy and to deliver it in a way that will rally and inspire the organisation around the shared vision for success
- You will demonstrate defining and communicating a long-term technical vision and inspiring your team around a shared vision for success.
- You have strong empathy and a bias for action.
- You will be able to build a deep understanding of both business and engineering metrics and drive a culture of reliability, security and productivity.
- You will champion developer productivity and empower engineers to invest in the right tooling at the right time.
- You will design strategies for future development projects based on the company’s overall objectives and resources
- You will be the champion for the "Atlassian values"
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!