Commercial Counsel: Product
Location: San Francisco, California
Job Type: Full time
Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or return to an office as they reopen (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
Your future team
We're looking for an accomplished commercial and product attorney to join our Commercial Legal team at Atlassian!
As a member of this team, you will have a tangible impact on Atlassian's go-to-market strategy for our wide range of products through advising and implementing innovative and customer-focused solutions. This role is for you if you are a strategic and creative thinker, a world-class issue-spotter, and have a passion for finding pragmatic solutions for driving the business forward.
This is a great opportunity to join a growing team of commercial and product attorneys at Atlassian as we scale our legal model and cross-functional engagement frameworks for the next stage of Atlassian's growth.
What you'll do
- Contribute and work jointly across our growing Commercial legal team, which supports Atlassian's go-to-market product offerings.
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally across a wide array of Atlassian business teams and leadership to shape and drive go-to-market strategies throughout the product lifecycle.
- Gain in-depth knowledge of Atlassian products, business model and customer lifecycle.
- Help manage legal risks and identify opportunities within Atlassian to mitigate or address risk.
- Provide practical and strategic business-minded guidance.
- Advise stakeholders on the readiness and release of products and features by identifying and driving resolution of legal and regulatory issues, including issues related to marketing, intellectual property, export control, and consumer protection.
- Serve as one of the first points of contact for legal issues that may arise across our product and go-to-market teams.
- Provide guidance and trainings to educate and enable our product and customer teams on legal issues and approved methodologies.
- Design and implement scalable processes of customer- and product-driven initiatives, including projects focused on improving legal processes.
- You have an understanding of software technology and cloud services and subscription-based offerings, including associated legal issues and risks.
- You go beyond advising on legal issues by developing a strategic viewpoint; you seek to understand the desired outcomes of the business and product teams so you can provide pragmatic advice and build processes that address legal risk while providing the business with flexibility and freedom to move quickly.
- You are an adept legal issue-spotter, and can also flag business risks or issues and fuel important conversations with cross-functional teams to mitigate those risks.
- You know what you don't know and are honest with your business stakeholders if you need to consult with other teammates, including on when to bring in different subject matter experts (legal or otherwise).
- You can communicate effectively and clearly with lawyers and non-lawyers; you know when to speak plainly and how to make complex information accessible and straightforward (either orally or in writing).
- You adapt easily to changes or shifts in business criticality and can handle competing priorities by setting realistic and achievable expectations with the teams you serve.
- You love building scalable and efficient processes for the legal team or your business stakeholders to evolve our growing go-to-market initiatives.
- You are naturally curious and tackle difficult problems by asking a lot of questions, extracting crucial information and partnering with the business to generate workable, risk-based recommendations or solutions.
- You thrive as the "go-to" person for the business teams you support by fostering trusted relationships and strong interpersonal connections.
- Bringing innovative technology products to the market excites you, and you have, or have the capacity to develop, the technical fluency to confidently and effectively counsel product and engineering teams.
On your first day, we expect you to
- Be qualified to practice law in a US state.
- Have 5+ years of experience practicing law, with prior in-house counsel experience within a product or commercial legal team strongly preferred.
- Have excellent judgment, strong communication skills and the ability to lead key projects from inception to completion.
- Have the ability to quickly learn new business, legal, compliance and technology concepts to expand your depth of knowledge and support for our high-growth business.
- Have experience advising internal business stakeholders on product development matters, such as go-to-market, cloud technology subscriptions, export control and general intellectual property and licensing.
- Have familiarity with the B2B SaaS and cloud services industry.
- Be curious about Atlassian's products, culture, and business model.
At Atlassian, we tie our base pay ranges to role and level. In the United States, that means your base pay ranges will fall into one of three geographic pay zones depending on your location. Our current base pay ranges for new hires in each zone are:
Zone A: $178,500 - $273,700
Zone B: $160,600 - $246,400
Zone C: $148,100 - $227,200
Within each range, base pay is ultimately determined based on your skills, expertise, and experience. This role may also be eligible for benefits, bonuses, commissions, and/or equity.
Please see here for more information on which locations are included in each of our geographic pay zones. However, please confirm the zone for your specific location with your recruiter.
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
You’ve got this!