Stave Inspector Lead
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Job Type: Full time
CURRENT EMPLOYEES, CONSULTANTS, AND AGENCY PARTNERS:
If you currently work for Brown-Forman, please apply by clicking the Careers icon on the Workday portal.
For best results, use Google Chrome to view this page.Meaningful Work From Day One
This position will communicate with mill and operations’ management, analyze inventory and production data, and evaluate available wood inventory supplies to plan and perform stave/heading inspection and purchasing activities. Evaluates industry trends, inventories, and other pertinent data in recommending and establishing material prices for both sales and purchasing quotas. Provides input into budget and operations’ planning and manages operations within established budgets. Ensures inspection/procurement activities adhere to all applicable local, state, federal regulatory, environmental, legal and Brown-Forman policies and requirements. Establishes standards for safety, quality and productivity and performs to or manages areas of responsibility to these standards. As the stave inspector lead, provides coaching, counsel and direction to vendors and procurement personnel.
- Conducts physical inspection / evaluation of stave and heading for purchase from external vendors or internal mills.
- Communicates with mill and operations’ management, analyzes inventory and production data, and evaluates available wood inventory supplies to plan and perform stave/heading inspection and purchasing activities.
- Evaluates industry trends, inventories, and other pertinent data in recommending and establishing material prices for both sales and purchasing quotas.
- Provides input into budget and operations’ planning and manages operations within established budgets.
- Ensures inspection/procurement activities adhere to all applicable local, state, federal regulatory, environmental, legal and Brown-Forman policies and requirements.
- Establishes standards for safety, quality and productivity and performs to or manages areas of responsibility to these standards.
This is a remote/home workstyle position within in a couple of hours driving time to Louisville, KY and will have high travel specifically in KY, TN, IN and MO (potentially additional states).
What You Can Expect
- Coordinates with the head inspector, individual mill managers and outside vendor mills to schedule, conduct and report stave/heading inspections, “take-ups”. 60%
- Follows standards and practices and completes record keeping, data and information gathering and other administrative tasks and duties accurately and in a timely manner. 10%
- Develops, cultivates, and maintains long-term relationships with wood industry suppliers, vendors and regulatory officials and negotiates and cultivates long-term procurement agreements with suppliers. 10%
- Assists in log procurement activities and directly purchases, scales, measures, and arranges log purchases as needed. Coordinates log, stave and heading transportation and delivery to mill sites as needed. 5%
- Provides input and feedback into quality of stave / heading evaluation standards and policy for stave inspections (and log grading as required) and recommends guidelines for stave, heading and log purchases, pricing and inspection and manages operations to ensure goals and guidelines are achieved. 5%
- Stays abreast of local, state, federal or other regulatory, environmental, legal or transportation rules and requirements and operates to comply with all applicable procedures. 5%
- Establishes and follows safety standards and working practices and procedures in areas of responsibility and performs to those standards. 5%
We Are Looking For People Who
Have a Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Biology, or similar field with at least 3 years’ experience in hardwood procurement OR 8+ years log/stave procurement and/or stave inspection experience specializing in white oak or a combination of commensurate education and experience such as lumber grading. Broad-based knowledge of forestry practices and procedures, logging and timber harvesting practices, hardwood markets and trends, wood technology and general knowledge of wood handling equipment and procedures. Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision. Excellent interpersonal and negotiating skills. Ability to travel in a 10-state area up to 80% of the time. Skills: Working knowledge of Google and Microsoft programs, Multi-Tasking Ability, Negotiation Skills, Oral & Written Communication Skills and Analytical Skills. Job Competencies: Planning, Strategic Thinking, Judgment and Project Management.
What You Can Add To The Team
Ten or more years’ experience in the cooperage industry with stave inspection and log buying experience.
Global Job Level:P6
Number of Openings Available:1