Senior Technical Leader, Video Systems (Remote)
Location: Remote - US only
Job Type: Full time
Who We Are
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making IT and security easier, faster, and smarter with technology that simply works. Meraki’s camera team is a growing, fast-moving team building security cameras with a unique edge-based architecture, enabling both long term storage and valuable Computer Vision analytics without requiring video to be sent the cloud; redefining an industry where innovation is rare. The MV security cameras blend the elegance and ease of use of high-end consumer systems with the immense scalability, security, and power of enterprise-grade solutions.
Who You’ll Work With
You’ll get the chance to work with a group of very skilled but low ego and collaborative engineers, with deep experience from both established companies to startups. The MV Backend team is focused on delivering stability, scalability, speed, and quality in MV’s cloud services. You will be joining a team that manages core portions of the system’s architecture. This includes our cloud proxy, which helps securely deliver video from cameras to user’s browsers or phones (wherever they are in the world), our video processing and export pipeline, systems that archive video securely to the cloud, the systems that trigger and deliver crucial alert notifications, and more.
What you'll work on
We are looking for a Sr. Technical Leader Video Systems who will architect the next generation of our systems to support our growing business. You will chart the direction of a new team that is solely focused on every piece of video, from the on-camera video pipeline up through the players on the mobile app and web.
- Quantify and constantly improve quality of stored and streamed video, maximizing retention times and minimizing bandwidth usage
- Architect and build a cloud-transcode service that can allow a phone to stream from 16 cameras at once without a sweat (and without destroying a user’s data plan)
- Explore and advise on new hardware platforms for future generations of cameras
- Build a hyper responsive forward and backward scrubbing feature covering weeks worth of constantly changing video
- Partner with and empower our Camera Intelligence teams to create unique solutions that run at the edge
- Come up with innovative solutions that cater to both a local LAN as well as cloud backed workflows
You are an ideal fit if you have:
- At least 10+ years of demonstrated ability in product architecture and functional experience
- Expert knowledge on Audio/Video codecs (H264, H265, VP9 etc.) and streaming protocols like HLS, RTSP, DASH
- Experience in multiple areas of video streaming (encoding raw frames, transcoding to various qualities, delivery across the internet, and decode/playback on client devices)
- High proficiency with common video tools/workflows such as ffmpeg and gstreamer
- Understanding of container formats and metadata (mp4, MPEG 2/Transport Stream, etc.)
- Experience optimizing video encoding quality
- Successfully deployed video streaming solutions at scale
Cisco Covid-19 Vaccination Policy
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building am employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case-by-case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.